It’s that time again!

What time you might ask? Well, if we’re talking time time, that’s definitely getting fuzzier as we spiral towards winter when it gets dark at 4 p.m. and we’re all time deprived and a little bit unhinged.

If we’re talking time of the school year, classes post Fall “Break” are back in full swing and the days are getting chillier, slowly but surely. We’re bundling up as the trees lose their layers as the cold sets in. This time of the year at Bowdoin is always specially noted by Family Weekend — a couple of days of events and things to do with your special people as campus is draped in the soft, warm colors of fall. If you don’t have blood-related family visiting, that’s okay too! Grab your chosen family here at Bowdoin and enjoy the season! 

As a senior here, my three roommates and I often reminisce about all those years ago when we were bright-eyed first years. As they do, events like Family Weekend came up, and we got to talking about our favorite parts of our Family Weekend experiences. Our top choice was unanimous: getting to share the food that the Brunswick community offers with our people. 

If you’re new to the College, maybe these spots will help you out with places to take your family. If you’re a senior like us, maybe you’ll come along with us on a trip down memory lane. If you’re not quite sure how you got here, maybe this list helps you with your dinner plans tonight with that friend group where no one can make a decision.

So without further ado, here’s 5 Maine Street favorites we’ve taken people to during Family Weekend!

Little Dog Coffee Shop

Thais Carrillo

Start the day off right with a hot breakfast sandwich or fresh pastry with some coffee or tea at one of our favorite Brunswick cafes. Little Dog is a coffee spot that is just as cute on the inside as its name. It’s a queer-friendly atmosphere, has a few big windows for natural lighting, and a super friendly staff. They’ve usually got a huge variety of goodies to snack on, even with vegetarian breakfast options! 

Aki Sushi

Thais Carrillo

For lunch, a dorm favorite has to be Aki Japanese Cuisine. They’ve got a great option of a 2-roll or 3-roll combo, where you get sushi, soup and a salad for a pretty good deal (although not as good a deal as when we were first years...sigh). My favorite is the sweet potato tempura roll, and Jane's (my roommate since first year and Editorial Director of our chapter of Spoon U!) usual go-tos are the crunchy spicy tuna roll or the eel and avocado roll.

Shere Punjab

Thais Carrillo

Shere Punjab is our go-to spot for Indian Cuisine. This place has loads of vegetarian options. They never fail to deliver on flavor and have a range of spiciness levels for any preference. Their variety of naan options and their lassis are must haves, too. Shere Punjab was the first restaurant I ate at in Brunswick the night before move-in day four years ago, so it remains special in my heart. 

Portland Pie

Thais Carrillo

Portland Pie is another Maine Street classic. Their pizza options are vast. They have a bunch of amazing specialty pizzas, but if those aren't what sound good to you, there's always their build-your-own pizza option available for you to curate your own pizza experience as you would have it. The even have different crust options (including gluten free!!) for you to choose from. If you're not feeling pizza, though, don't fret! They've got a huge menu of other non-pizza options. From appetizers, to soup, to salad, to sandwiches, to burgers, to pasta, the menu is your oyster. 

Gelato Fiasco

Thais Carrillo

Can’t go without dessert! Gelato Fiasco never disappoints. From its ever exciting rotation of seasonal flavors (like pumpkin pie, Thai tea, KitKat, and apple crisp) to its classic, never-miss flavors (fresh cream, Netflix and chill, and Maine blueberry crisp), Gelato Fiasco is actually nothing close to its name. They even have plenty of sorbet flavors that are actually good (strawberry balsamic, anyone?) rather than just being an afterthought for those that don’t do dairy. Even as the days get colder, Gelato Fiasco remains a cozy place with yummy treats that will warm your soul if not your core body temperature.