Spoon University Logo

The 2024 presidential election is coming up on November 5, and with it comes the anxiety about when, where, and how to vote. For those who are completely new to voting, the process can be daunting: there’s so much information about the process, policies, and candidates, and sometimes procedures vary by region, state, even county. No matter how you choose to vote, one thing is important: food. 

If you’re hitting the polls IRL, it might be a long day. Polls are typically open from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Election Day, but of course can vary between state and county. According to the Reddit Thread AskAnAmerican, voting in person for a major general election can take anywhere from two to four hours, depending on wait times — even though the actual voting takes just a few minutes. One voter went in person for early voting, and it still took 90 minutes. Regardless of how long (or short) the wait is, it’s important to be prepared!

In addition to a government-issued ID (depending on state laws), entertainment, and water, it’s important to have a variety of fun and filling snacks to keep you satiated (and ensure your votes aren’t influenced by hanger). We’ve rounded up some election day snacks to make sure that you’re ready to cast your vote happily, not hungrily.

#SpoonTip: Know your rights! If you’re in line when polls close, stay in line! You can still vote. And, if you have questions about voting, visit HowToActuallyVote.com for a simple, straightforward guide. 

Water

First and foremost, water. Bring a reusable bottle if you have one, but consider bringing disposable bottles too in case there isn’t an easily-accessible refill station. If you, like me, are terrible at drinking water, bring sparkling or flavored water. 

Caffeine

It could be a long day, and it’s important to stay energized! Maybe you make yourself a fun coffee at home, treat yourself to a latte from your favorite cafe, or grab a can of soda for the road. I’m always a fan of OLIPOP for a prebiotic-packed caffeine boost, La Colombe Draft Lattes for coffee, and a good ol’ Celsius every now and again.

Protein

There are plenty of easy and convenient snacks to keep you satisfied on the go. Try trail mix with a classic combination of nuts, seeds, and dried fruit; nuts such as almonds, walnuts, or cashews; or bags of beef, turkey, or chicken jerky for a protein-packed snack. Or, opt energy bars with a balance of protein, fiber, and healthy fats. I like KIND’s new energy bars, RX Minis, and GoMacro bars, which are both vegan and gluten-free.

Produce

Fruits and veggies are an easy way to get some extra water in, plus a little bit of crunch. Apples, bananas, grapes, or berries are easy to eat and nutritious, or try carrot sticks, cucumber slices, or cherry tomatoes with single-serve packs of hummus (I love Sabra Singles), guac, or another dip

Sweet Treats

After a hard day of voting, you deserve a little sweet treat (or two or three). I’m a huge fan of SmartSweets (especially the Swedish Fish dupe), UNREAL’s Dark Chocolate Covered Pretzels, and Tate’s Bakeshop’s classically crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies (which now come in convenient snack packs). But, you can never go wrong with some mini candy bars for a pick-me-up in the polling lines.

Kennedy Dierks is a National Contributor at Spoon University, and chapter president of Spoon at Seton Hall University in New Jersey. She covers all things food and has a soft spot for pop-culture moments, product launches, and the occasional cocktail. Beyond Her Campus, Kennedy plans to pursue medicine and currently works as a medical assistant and clinical researcher. She has written for Teen Vogue, ABC News, and Girl’s Life Magazine, in addition to a number of academic and scholarly journals. She recently graduated from Seton Hall University, where she majored in Biology and Religious Studies while minoring in Art History. Kennedy is currently pursuing a Master’s Degree at Seton Hall’s College of Interprofessional Health Sciences. Kennedy is a Taylor Swift aficionado who is convinced that a New Jersey bagel makes everything better. In her free time, she can be found teaching spin classes at the gym, playing the guitar, designing art for her Redbubble shop, or roaming the aisles of Trader Joe’s looking for her new favorite product.