The best way to start my day is with some fluffy, scrambled eggs. Or an omelet. Or over easy. What can I say, I love eggs. But they are eggs-pensive these days! According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, prices spiked at an average of $4.823 in January 2023. Fortunately, egg prices do appear to be decreasing just in time for your favorite holiday cookie recipe!

What are some of the causes?

Avian Flu

In February of 2022, avian flu was identified in a commercial poultry facility and has only continued to spread. As of November 29, over 69 million chickens have been infected — meaning there is less supply of chickens, leading to a lesser supply of eggs, causing an egg shortage.

Eggflation

According to the U.S. News & World Report, inflation has even reached the farms with “fuel, packaging, and labor costs." Furthermore, increased prices of corn and wheat have also caused prices to increase, as they are the main components of chicken feed.

Cage Free Eggs

Cage-free is a trend that seems to be here to stay (hopefully unlike avian flu). While it is better for the chickens and the eggs alike, improved conditions have also caused the prices to increase.

Will egg prices go down?

Luckily, there has already been a decrease since 2022. According to Nerd Wallet, there has been a 22% decrease in price from November 2022 to November 2023, though there has been a slight uptick since. However, they still are not near pre-pandemic prices, which were closer to $1.461. 

But in the meantime, here are some alternative solutions. Try to change up your breakfast routine. Instead of some sunny side-ups, try some overnight oats or a tofu scramble.

Applesauce, cornstarch, and other substitutes can be used in recipes as alternatives. See if there are some other items on your grocery list that you can skip the name-brand products in favor of the cheaper (and usually just as good) generic products to save up a little.