It's December, and your alarm goes off bright and early before your 8 am lecture. You just keep hitting snooze because your bed is irresistibly warm and comfortable. Eventually, you decide to get up, and you're cold as hell.

Since it's a freezing cold morning, you're probably not in the mood for a smoothie or cereal. What should you turn to? These foods and drinks can help warm your spirits a little. 

1. Oatmeal

milk, oatmeal, rice, porridge
Sarah Arora

It looks mushy and gross, but it doesn't have to be. Admittedly, I am kind of still in fall mode, so I love my Trader Joe's Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal. Oatmeal has a warm and hearty consistency that will warm you up instantly.

2. Hot Chocolate

coffee, espresso, cappuccino, milk, mocha, hot chocolate, chocolate, cream
Sarah Arora

Hot chocolate is like a hug for the soul. Stop by your local coffee shop or make it in your dorm room or apartment with easy powdered packets and your microwave. 

3. Avocado

Avocado is rich in potassium and is packed with a ton of antioxidants to keep you full and focused throughout your early lectures. This power fruit (yes, avocado is a fruit) has more potassium than a banana. It will also keep your heart healthy and your blood flowing. 

4. Apples

apple, bread, toast, butter, cream
Sarah Arora

Apples can give you energy in the morning and boost your immune system. They can even be enjoyed at room temperature. Try apples on toast with peanut butter for a complete breakfast.

5. Ginger Tea

Ginger is known as a warming herb. It can improve your blood circulation and soothe your respiratory system. Try a cup of hot ginger tea for that extra boost of energy in the morning.

6. Citrus Fruit

If you're feeling a little sick, boost your immunity with oranges, tangerines, clementines, or grapefruit. Citrus fruits help improve blood flow into your coronary arteries.

Anything with Vitamin C will do the trick, though, such as strawberries, kiwis, and pineapple. After all, the cold never bothered you anyway.