Recently, coconut oil has become very popular. I always thought that it was only meant to be used in the kitchen, but I discovered that it has many other purposes, too. It works so well as a hair mask before the shower, a conditioner in the shower, a body moisturizer, and even a super hydrating lip moisturizer. Recently, coconut butter has also become really popular.

A lot of people are confused about the difference between coconut butter and coconut oil. I decided to do some research to figure out the difference between coconut oil and coconut butter and essential do a coconut oil vs. coconut butter showdown. SPOILER ALERT: I found out that, yes, there is in fact a difference.

yogurt, milk
Andrew Zaky

What's the difference?

egg, dairy product, cream, milk
Jina Kim

Coconut oil comes in two forms - solid and liquid. This can make the difference between coconut butter, which only comes in solid form, and coconut oil confusing. However, they are 100% different products.

So, what's coconut oil?

Coconut oil the oil that has been extracted from the "meat," or the part that we typically eat (a.k.a. what you're eating when you have shaved coconut). When making coconut oil, the solvents or heat are used to take out the purest form of the fatty acid in the coconut and the rest of the flesh, or the part that coconut butter is made out of is thrown away.

Since coconut oil and butter are made from two TOTALLY SEPARATE parts of the coconut, they are for sure different products. This oil is meant to be used in cooking to sauté vegetables or to bake some brownies. 

It is also a favorite moisturizer of many. Although for some it tends to clog their pores and cause blackheads and acne as a face cream, for others it moisturizes better than any body butter that could be bought at The Body Shop! Since it is a comedogenic oil, I would suggest using it sparingly on your face, chest, back, and any other acne prone areas. However, I think that everyone can agree that it makes an excellent lip balm! 

And coconut butter?

Claire Waggoner

Coconut butter includes all the fat, fibers, and nutrients from the coconut. So, technically, I guess, coconut butter is better for you, but oil is really good, too! It is made very similarly to how other nut butters, like almond or peanut butter, are made. In fact, you can actually make coconut butter yourself, which is super cool!

Coconut butter is made out of the flesh of the coconut and then is ground into a paste, or butter. Coconut butter is a lot more pure, in scent and material, than oil is. Typically, coconut butter is used for eating raw instead of cooking. Many enjoy spreading it on toast, waffles, or pancakes as a substitute for butter. Also, coconut butter is typically not used on your body, since it is significantly thicker than coconut oil, making it a bit less versatile than coconut oil. 

Whether you prefer to eat your coconut products or wear them, both coconut butter and coconut oil are excellent options to fulfill all of your moisturizing, sautéing, and smearing needs! Plus, they're really delicious, so there's that, too!