With New York to the south and Boston to the north, Providence has been long overlooked, especially when it comes to food. But with Johnson & Wales pumping out a new class of chefs every year, and an incredibly high level of interconnection between restaurants, local farms and food producers, PVD has some of the best food in the country, and a rich pool of talent to cook it. In other words, you can eat very well in this city, even if you have food restrictions that make dining out a challenge. Take being a vegetarian or a vegan, for example. Since it opened early this year, the city has been buzzing about by Chloe. Providence, which is great, but it's only one of many places to eat a plant-based diet in PVD.  

The Grange

With an all-vegetarian menu that easily caters to vegan diners, The Grange is also the kind of place where even carnivores will be impressed with the inventive cuisine. Plus, the cocktails — full of herbs, house-infusions and interesting —  are among the best in the city. 

Must try: For brunch, don't miss the Biscuits n' Gravy with eggs or tofu, mushroom gravy and crispy oyster mushrooms. For lunch/dinner, the Za'atar Carrots with braised greens and smoked maple mustard are top notch.

Julian's

With a photo like that, do you really need to know more? The best part is that this French Toast is vegan. Julian's is an omnivore restaurant that's very veggie and vegan-friendly. It's famous for brunch, and rightfully so, since Julian's serves up seven kinds of Eggs (or tofu) Benedict, including the St. Jamez Benedict, with fried tofu, vegan hollandaise and garlicky greens. Another fun touch to the place—you can catch up on '80s tv shows like "Fraggle Rock" that play in the bathroom.

Must try: For brunch, Shakshuka, a Middle Eastern tomato-based stew with eggs cooked directly in it. For dinner, there's a Vegan Tasting Board appetizer that changes with the season, and has foods like cashew cheese and pickled vegetables on it.

by Chloe.

Ever since the Providence outpost of by Chloe. opened, the city has been buzzing about the vegan restaurant on Thayer Street, raving (and Instagramming) about comfort foods like vegan burgers, breakfasts and milkshakes. And for good reason—the food is great. 

Must-try: Mac n' Cheese with sweet potato-cashew cheese sauce, shiitake bacon and almond parm. 

Garden Grille

Opened over 20 years ago, Garden Grille is the city's first vegetarian restaurant and serves an exclusively meat-free menu. (They take the plant-based idea so far that there's even a giant tree growing in the middle of the dining room.)

Must-try: The Roasted Butternut Squash Quesadilla, with black beans, jalapeño jack cheese and avocado.

The Duck & Bunny

The Duck & Bunny is known for its stellar cupcakes and inventive, mostly crepe-based food, including "creperitos" and personal crepe pizzas. What the restaurant should be more known for, though, is its vegetarian and vegan options, like the Crepeccini with crepe "noodles" and pomodoro beurre blanc, or the daily soup special that's always veggie-friendly. The Duck always has vegan and GF cupcakes at the ready, too. 

Must-try: For brunch, Florentine Eggs "Bun-a-Duck," served on potato latkes. For dinner, The Mazzy Star, a crepe filled with portobello mushrooms, fontina, rosemary and truffle oil. And, of course, a cupcake.

Wildflour

An exclusively vegan bakery and cafe by the same owners of Garden Grille, Wildflour is a favorite even among non-vegans for its incredible baked goods, like the you'd-never-know-it's-vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcake. Wildflour also serves smoothies, fresh-pressed juices, vegan shakes and grab-and-go vegan options like raw lasagna.

Must-try: The Dino Smoothie, with spinach, kale, banana, blueberries, almond butter and almond milk. 

PVDonuts

PVDonuts may have gotten Instagram famous for its over-the-top '90s throwback donuts, like Dunkaroos and Wild Berry Pop Tart flavors, but the East Side shop is leading the charge in vegan doughnuts in Providence too, with flavors like Cherry Chocolate Oreo and Maple Pecan Filled.

Must try: Anything retro. The menu changes every month, but the more fun you can have with a donut, the better.

Veggie Fun

With an all-Asian, all-vegan menu, Veggie Fun really delivers on the promise of its name. The restaurant serves delicious preparations of vegetables, like Grilled Eggplant with Miso, but really shines with their fake-meat versions of Asian favorites. Think General Tso's Soy Protein, Black Pepper Seitan and Peking-Style Seitan. OK, the names could probably use some work, but just go with it and you won't be disappointed.

Must-try: Moo-Shu Fantasia, with cabbage, carrots, shiitake mushrooms and scallions in hoisin sauce.

AS220 FOO(D)

AS220 is an arts collaborative that was a pioneer in changing the landscape of downtown Providence into a art and music-filled destination. Their cafe, AS220 FOO(D), serves fun and funky food that's mostly veggie-friendly and doesn't take itself too seriously. The mostly comfort food menu has options like a Vegan Reuben and Vegan Gnocchi, and the restaurant shares a room with The Bar at AS220, which serves killer cocktails.

Must-try: The mac and cheese. It's a garlic and broccoli-filled masterpiece. Seriously, trust me on this one.

Like No Udder

The city's only vegan ice cream shop, Like No Udder, serves up soy-based soft serve and a rotating selection of hard ice creams made from coconut, cashew and peanut bases. Flavors range from the familiar Cookies and Cream to more gourmet options like Thai Iced Tea and Tart Coconut Strawberry.

Must-try: The Unicorn, a Blizzard-style mix of soft serve and whatever toppings you want.