I always thought mozzarella and burrata were the same cheese, because they look almost identical in their color, size, shape, and packaging. As it turns out, these are two very different cheeses. Choosing the right cheese from the cheese aisle can have a major impact on how your dishes turn out, whether it be pizza, pasta, or other meals. The struggle is real when deciding between burrata vs mozzarella, but learning the differences between these two kinds of cheese is essential for any Italian food lover. 

What is Mozzarella?

vegetable, cheese, caprese salad, dairy product, sweet
Hailey Maher

Mozzarella is a semi-soft Italian cheese made from cow or water buffalo milk. Cow milk is most commonly used because it's easier to find and is cheaper than water buffalo milk. But if you see buffalo mozzarella in stores, you now know where it comes from.

Mozzarella is a pulled curd cheese, which means it has an elastic texture and a flavor that be described as milky and delicate. It's one of a few types of cheese that are always eaten fresh and not aged, although it can be stored for up to a week before it "goes bad." Mozzarella is a very versatile cheese as well. It can be eaten on pizza, pasta, salad, sandwiches and in many other delicious foods like mozzarella sticks

What is Burrata?

Weirdly enough, burrata, another Italian cheese, is made from mozzarella cheese. Burrata takes things one step further by adding uncooked cheese curds and cream to the inside of the mozzarella. The inside is softer and stringier than regular mozzarella, and it has a stronger flavor as well due to the uncooked curds inside. Burrata is also served fresh; the best part is cutting the burrata open and watching the creamy insides spill out onto the rest of your meal. Burrata can be eaten on salad, toast, or even by itself (it's really that good). 

Easy Recipes to Try

basil, mozzarella, pizza, tomato
Alex Frank

A good beginners dish that uses mozzarella cheese is this simple bruschetta recipe. For something a bit more challenging, try making bacon-wrapped mozzarella bombs. This recipe uses just three ingredients and is ready in less than half an hour. If you're looking for something a little lighter, try making a mason jar pasta salad. And for a quick and easy summer caprese salad, toss together baby tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, pine nuts, pesto, and spinach.

Burrata can be used much like mozzarella. For a decadent start to your morning, make this burrata caprese toast. If you're feeling extra, make these burrata jalapeño poppers. Stuff the burrata cheese with pesto (store-bought or homemade), then bread the stuffed burrata and place in a pan full of oil to fry until golden brown. 

chicken, meat, fish fingers, mozzarella, vegetable
Isabella Neuberg

Mozzarella and burrata are different cheeses that look incredibly similar. Whether you're craving creamy burrata or springy mozzarella, both make a great addition to any meal.