After a devastating week in America, one full of hatred and bigotry, Ben and Jerry's just announced some news that is sure to put a smile on all ice cream lovers' faces. The self-proclaimed social justice ice cream company just released that they will be launching a limited edition, politically delicious new flavor in loom of the upcoming midterm elections. Entitled "Pecan Resist," this brand-new flavor packs both a nutty flavor and an important message: to fight against the hateful rhetoric of the Trump administration and to strive for equality and love. Whether you're a pecan ice cream fanatic or simply a politically active, inclusive individual, this ice cream is sure to pique your interest. 

What is the importance of the message behind the flavor?

By releasing this new flavor, Ben and Jerry's is promoting an empowering message. They hope that the debut of "Pecan Resist" will inspire those to resist; to "peacefully resist the Trump administration's regressive and discriminatory policies and build a future that values inclusivity, equality, and justice for people of color, women, the LGBTQ community, refugees, and immigrants." The company is asking that their consumers “speak out” against the Trump administration’s regressive politics by providing them with the option to “take action now” by signing up for emails from their partner organizations. 

What is the point of making and selling the ice cream flavor "Pecan Resist"? 

Beyond just spreading a hopeful message and asking their fans to take action, the release of "Pecan Resist" has also prompted Ben and Jerry's to launch a progressive campaign and resistance movement. They hope that this movement will help "lick injustice and champion those fighting to create a more just and equitable nation for us all," they said in a statement. The company has pledged to donate to organizations that they expect will help achieve this ultimate goal and will support those most marginalized by the current US political climate. Specifically, they will be donating $25,000 to four impactful organizations, Color of Change, Honor the Earth, Neta, and the Women's March. 

What are other instances of Ben and Jerry's supporting important social justice issues through ice cream? 

Although the release of "Pecan Resist" is utterly powerful, it is not the first instance where Ben and Jerry's have fused the unexpected pair of activism and ice cream together. In fact, Ben and Jerry's has a history of fighting for social justice issues through the sale of their delectable dessert, which dates back to the 1980s. In 1988, the company released a Brazilian nut flavor, “Rainforest Crunch,” in an attempt to help the socially repressed, indigenous nut farmers in Brazil. Other examples of Ben and Jerry's promotion of polarizing political messages through ice cream includes the renaming of "Chubby Hubby" to "Hubby Hubby" in 2009 in celebration of same-sex marriage being legalized in Vermont, their 2016 flavor, EmpowerMint, released to promote voting rights, among many other examples. 

So, what does "Pecan Resist" actually taste like? 

To answer the critical question your taste buds have all been patiently waiting for, "Pecan Resist," according to the Ben and Jerry's website, is a chocolate ice cream flavored pint filled with chunks of white & dark fudge, pecans, walnuts, and fudge-covered almonds. This limited-edition flavor can be found online here or at local grocery stores all across the country. 

It's safe to say that most humans care deeply about politics and food, the fuel that keeps us alive. However, Ben and Jerry's is a testament to the fact that no one should ever have to choose between the two. So, go out and rock the vote on Election Day and fight for the issues that are important to you while also devouring an unhealthy amount of Ben and Jerry's "Pecan Resist" flavor. Who knew resistance, activism, and exercising your civic duties could taste so utterly delicious?!