This calendar year we are lucky (or unlucky) enough to have two Friday the 13ths appear — one in January and one in October.

This western holiday stems from middle ages and has biblical significance. At the Last Supper, there were 13 people in attendance and the dinner took place on Thursday, the 13th. As the story goes, Jesus was crucified on the Friday. Somewhere in time, those two plot points were combined and westerners created this paraskevidekatriaphobia, or fear of Friday the 13th.

But this is not constant throughout the world. In Italy, the unluckiest day of the year is Friday the 17th. Hispanic and Greek culture argue that Fridays are fine, but rather Tuesday the 13th is the unluckiest of them all. In the US, this Friday the 13th is still full of possible hazards like crossing paths with a black cat or walking under a ladder, so here are some lucky foods and tips from around the world to help balance out all of that potential bad luck.

1. Sweetened Yogurt

milk, egg, dairy product, cream
Katherine Baker

In Hinduism, mixing curd and sugar, creating Dahi-Shakkar, is very auspicious. Now, not a lot of us have a jar of curd in the fridge, so the plain container of yogurt that you mix with granola for breakfast is an acceptable substitute.

Many students whip up this simple treat before an exam, long-distance trip, or interview for some extra luck, and science doesn’t think this is such a bad idea. The curd, or yogurt, has special digestive properties to relax your anxious stomach, and the sugar is an instant release of glucose to give you the energy boost you needed to impress the bosses.

2. Turmeric

curry, turmeric, coffee, sweet, condiment, relish, cinnamon
Sarina Raman

While a handful of preliminary studies show turmeric has some potential health benefits, save some of this spice to ward off any bad omens headed your way. This vibrant yellow spice, known as haldi in India, was first discovered around 500 BCE, and soon became an integral part of ancient Indian medicine and culture.

To this day, turmeric holds special significance in Indian culture and plays a vital role in many societal customs. At wedding ceremonies, families sprinkle turmeric in each invitee’s envelope as a symbol of happiness and good fortune. After a familial death, Indians refrain from eating turmeric for 10 days as a form of spiritual grieving. Turmeric is a deeply positive staple in Indian culture, so be sure to sprinkle some on your food for even more good luck.

3. Peaches

apple, peach, nectarine, pasture
Dea Uy

While peaches are primarily regarded here for their juicy texture and vibrant flavor, they have deep significance beyond their taste in other places. In Chinese culture, peaches symbolize immortality. Xiwangmu, a Chinese goddess, is said to have held a banquet featuring the peaches of immortality to ensure that the Chinese deities would be everlasting. Modern Chinese tradition replaces regular peaches with Longevity peaches, or shoutao. Now these aren’t your typical “right off the tree” fruits. These are actually a type of pastry, filled with either lotus paste or red bean paste, and said to represent the celestial peach mentioned in multiple Chinese legends.

4. Holy Basil

vegetable, basil, herb, relish
Spoon University

Tulsi, or Holy Basil, is a type of basil used frequently in Thai cuisine. Tulsi is most famously used in Phat kaphrao, a popular Thai stir fry dish cooked with a myriad of different meats and seafood. While holy basil has many versatile culinary uses, it also has deep meaning in South Asian culture. In the religion of Hinduism, tulsi is consumed before auspicious events for good luck. So next time you have a big day coming, get some holy basil and heat up your skillet!

5. Mooncakes

caramel, custard
Lui Xia Lee

Mooncakes are Chinese pastries made of lotus seed, golden syrup, flour, and an egg yolk filling, that are usually served with tea. These Chinese delicacies are considered symbols of good luck and are the central focus of the Mid-Autumn Festival (also known as the Mooncake Festival), which celebrates the day when everyone around the globe can see the moon in the same phase. So even though we all aren’t seeing the moon in the same phase, we can all still bask in the luck these delicious desserts bring us.

6. Salt

Audrey Aucoin

We have all heard of the spilled salt legend. Spilling salt is bad luck, and to reverse its curse, you must throw a pinch over your left shoulder. But where exactly did it get its roots? According to How Stuff Works, the spilling of salts has roots in Leonardo DaVinci’s The Last Supper. Judas Iscariot, one of the original twelve disciples, betrayed Jesus and is synonymous with evil. In the painting, DaVinci depicts him spilling a small jar of salt. But why the left shoulder? Some Christians believe that the Devil lurks over your left shoulder, so throwing the salt his way stops any plans he has to ruin Nickel

So today, make sure you stock up on peaches, sweetened yogurt, and other lucky foods. We don't want anything to ruin that 10 A.M. exam or more importantly... the start of the weekend!