Wherever you go out for breakfast, there's bound to be an impasse: bacon vs turkey bacon. If you're like me, and sometimes (like, very rarely) are in the mood to be healthier at breakfast, you'll find yourself ordering the turkey bacon rather than regular.

beef, sausage, pork, meat, bacon
Andrew Zaky

But, what if turkey bacon isn't really healthier? I never paused to consider what the comparison between the two are, nutrition-wise, so here's the breakdown. 

Because of the basic principles of white meat vs dark meat, fatty meat vs lean meat, and the assumptions that are made in terms of nutrition facts, it's automatically assumed that turkey bacon is 'healthier' than regular bacon. But here's the real low down on these two separate options.

The Facts

According to the Cleveland Clinic, a 2-oz serving of turkey bacon does have fewer calories at about 218 calories compared to the 268 in a 2-oz serving of pork bacon.

But it seems that the relative similarities between bacon and turkey bacon don't end just with the caloric content. With roughly the same amount of protein in bacon and turkey bacon (20 grams and 17 grams, respectively), turkey bacon actually has a higher sodium content, containing 1,900 milligrams, while regular bacon only contains 1,300.

The fat content differs between the two options. Cleveland Clinic reports that turkey bacon has 14 grams of fat per 2-oz serving, whereas bacon has 22 grams of fat in the same size serving. 

Turkey bacon, however, is probably better for cholesterol. It contains lower amounts of 'bad' fats and is less processed than regular bacon, and has a lower glycemic index. This causes foods to release sugar into the body more slowly, and lessens the risk that your cholesterol levels will be raised. 

Inherently, it appears that one is not necessarily worse than the other when it comes to nutritional content. In terms of taste, it's more an opinion of preference. Turkey bacon is salted more to get it to taste like regular bacon, hence the higher sodium content. It's also pounded into strips to resemble bacon, and can have a different texture due to this.

Which Is Really Better for You?

sauce, chicken, beef, meat, pork, bacon
Emily Gordon

The key to these differences is moderation. Dr. Janeal Yancey, a PhD in Meat Science at the University of Arkansas, says that when comparing the two, look at the nutrition facts. In the bacon vs turkey bacon debate, it may depend on what you're looking for in your food based on the small differences. 

The debate of bacon vs turkey bacon is ongoing and probably will never be concluded. The key is moderation, and sometimes the 'healthier' alternative will trick you into eating more based on the assumption that it's the healthier choice. So pick your bacon, and eat up. But before you eat up, read up on those facts and see what you're really putting in your body. 

If you've concluded that 'real' bacon is the only way for you, try these 30 recipes to make you fall in love with your favorite food once again. If you're feeling adventurous and open to something new, these turkey meatballs won't disappoint.