As has been established by many of my articles, I'm allergic to a painfully large array of food items. My allergies range from the common, such as egg and certain types of dairy, to the not-so-common, such as black pepper and coriander.

Allergies are heartbreaking for a foodie, but luckily for me, Oxford has a treasure trove of restaurants and cafés that can effortlessly custom-make delicious dishes so that people with strange allergies don't miss out on important culinary experiences. Below are a few of my favourites. 

For a sweet-toothed mood: 

1. Barefoot Kitchen 

This adorable café has the most gorgeous cakes I've ever seen, and their creative concoctions include violet, apple and blackberry, sticky black ginger, and rhubarb, raspberry and rose.

Marie Chantal Marauta

The best part? They always have vegan options available. Above and on the right is a slice of their scrumptious vegan spiced carrot cake with creamy frosting; can confirm it was otherworldly. So if you can't eat egg and dairy, you still get a range of delicious, spongy slices to choose from. 

Oh, and the yummy cakes and aromatic tea are all served on pretty, patterned china, giving the place serious Alice-in-Wonderland-meets-Tea-at-Buckingham-Palace vibes. 

2. The Story Museum Café

Marie Chantal Marauta

A hidden gem near Christ Church College and Pembroke College, the Story Museum Café is a simple, cute and colorful place to go if you would like a feast of vegan and gluten free dishes

Everything is fresh and home made, from their smooth vegan Nutella, to their fluffy vegan pancakes, to their refreshing smoothie bowls, to their vegan Huevos Rancheros (made with beans). Portions are filling, flavours are delicious, and everything fits nicely into a regimented student budget. 

3. Happy Friday Kitchen 

Marie Chantal Marauta

This quaint vegan restaurant is Oxford's first, and serves wonderful treats for sweet-toothed walking allergies, from their double-layered vegan cakes with velvety frosting and a moist sponge (flavours include cookie dough and Speculoos) to their double chocolate cookies to their soft cupcakes with buttercream. 

If you're into puppies (because, let's be honest, who isn't?) their adorable pupper Buddha is friendly, runs around the store, and is very receptive to cuddles. 

For savoury moments: 

1. Atomic Burger 

A little way down Cowley Road, this delicious burger joint makes fresh and unique dishes with beef, chicken or veggie patties. You can get plain and simple burgers with cheese and lettuce, or you can try one of their more adventurous creations (ingredients used in different burgers include Sauerkraut, Lime Pickle, Camembert and Bleu Cheese). 

Marie Chantal Marauta

The chefs are super patient, and very accommodating of even the most peculiar allergies (hello, black pepper and coriander). Since the food is freshly-made and cooked on the spot, they're receptive to the requests of customers with dietary restrictions. 

The entire restaurant is decked out with toys and gadgets from the 1990s, including slightly-creepy dolls and row after row of VHS tapes, so the delicious food will take you down memory lane to fill your meal with foodgasms and nostalgia.

2. Sticks'n'Sushi

Marie Chantal Marauta

If you feel like splurging a little on delicious grilled dishes or incredible sushi, this Japanese-Danish fusion gourmet chain is the perfect haven for people who can't have specific spices and condiments. 

Their fish and meat are fresh and cooked in a way that pronounces their spectacular natural flavour, so if you're like me and can't eat things such as black pepper and spices, just let your waiter know, and the chefs will ensure that your allergen-free experience will still be delicious and exciting.

3. Rick's 

A delectable yet cosy casual diner, Rick's serves sandwiches and grilled plates made fresh in store. If you can't have egg or common condiments, they have other options (such as the soft, tasty grilled chicken dish displayed below) that will make for a meal that is equally as fulfilling and energizing as the standard breakfast plates you can't consume. 

Marie Chantal Marauta

If you would like to down one of their delicious lattes or hot chocolate, they also have dairy-free ingredients with which to make them. It's very 1950s-American-diner-meets-rustic-English-family-restaurant, and the perfect place to either catch up with friends or do some food-fueled studying. 

Most of these places are outside the city center, meaning that you get a delicious experience outside the hustle and bustle of tour groups being shepherded across Oxford's cobblestoned streets. Take your patient friends with you, and watch them laugh as you list your myriad of dietary restrictions upon ordering. It may be a tedious process, but these six places serve food that is totally worth the wait. 

For more on allergies and how to manage them when eating out, check out these articles:

- Why Have Food Allergies Become So Common?

- What It's Like to Have the Most Common Allergy No One Has Heard of

- What to Do When Going to a Restaurant with Severe Food Allergies