The leaves are changing, the air is more crisp, and for some reason fall was left behind in the matter of a week. It is now becoming winter here in Sewanee, and I don't know about you, but this rapid change has my immune system all sorts of messed up. We are on the brink of flu system, and I can hear the vine in the distance: "she wasn't readyyyy". Nothing shakes the icky feeling and bad moods more than some fuzzy socks and the comfort of food. The one thing that always makes me feel better, no matter how sick I am, is a homemade grilled cheese sandwich. Now this is no ordinary grilled cheese- it is THE grilled cheese to cure yourself of those sick day blues. When I'm sick this sandwich is the thing I want for all three meals and is a surefire way to perk my spirits up! 

My Illness Meal

toast, bread, wheat, butter, sandwich, sweet, grilled cheese sandwich

This famous homemade grilled cheese is composed of 2 pieces of plain white bread spread with butter and one slice of American cheese. There is no nonsense when it comes to this sandwich. I do not like fluff when I am sick. However, a side of chicken noodle soup does sometimes add the right amount of variety among the meals. Also, depending on what kind of sickness I have, apple juice and ginger ale is usually the safest bet for my choice of drink. And there you have it; my go-to meal for my sickest and saddest days! 

What makes it so good?

cheese, waffle, bread
Alex Frank

Of course this homemade grilled cheese is not that wonderful solely because of its taste. It is because of the love that my mom put into it. I will be the first to admit that there were those occasional days that I played up those sicknesses so I could have that sick day treat (sorry mom). There was always a tradeoff for being sick, whether it was missing school, watching tv, or sleeping. For me, it was my mom's homemade grilled cheese. Love ya ma!