Coffee - it's a necessary part of our morning ritual. From the nutty, smoky, and floral aromas of the roast to the dark, chocolatey, robust taste, coffee is an incredibly loved drink that fuels people everywhere. 

milk, coffee, cream, espresso, cappuccino
Kristine Mahan

Being a coffee fanatic myself and someone who loves to experiment with his food, I have tried many different brewing methods just to see what I like. After several different wacky attempts and experiments, I found what I like and incorporated it into my daily routine. So if you are bored this quarantine, now is the perfect time to experiment with your coffee and see what you like!

1. Chemex / Drip

Adam Vuth

Personally, this is my favorite method because the extra time you take allows you to taste all of the complexity that coffee can offer. Starting with 2 tbsp of finely grounded beans, you place the paper filter into the dripping cone and pour boiling hot water over the grounds until you see foam start to form, which is also known as a bloom. After that first pour finished, you swirl water over the leftover grounds for a second pour and there you have it, a gorgeous cup of coffee. 

Time: 7-10 min

Cost of device: $20-$40 [Not including beans]

2. French Press

coffee, espresso, cappuccino, mocha

One of the easiest ways to extract the best flavors out of coffee, the french press method only requires a french press, coarse coffee grounds, and some patience. This method focuses on steeping the coarsely grounded coffee beans in near-boiling water for about four minutes, and then plunging it to both filter the grounds and aerate the coffee. The method is as easy as it sounds; add two tablespoons of coarsely ground coffee per one cup of water, and let it steep for four minutes before plunging. For this method, it is important that the water is near boiling, rather than full boil, so practice will make perfect. Once plunged, you will have a beautiful cup of coffee that will blow you away

Time: 4 min

Cost of Device: $5-$15

3. Cold Brew

Adam Vuth

Some of the best things in life take time, and that especially applies to cold brew. This technique can extract all of the deep, roasty flavors of your beans and concentrates it into something with low acidity that is smooth, bold, and delicious. To do this at home, all you will need is a jar, coarse coffee grounds, and a good filter such as cheesecloth. Using a 1:4 ratio of coffee to water, you place that all into the jar and let it sit overnight or between 12-24 hours. Once the coffee is extracted, simply filter it into another jar to catch the grounds, and there you have some homemade cold brew!

Time: 12-24 hrs.

Cost of Device: $1-$5 [Or free if you have everything at home!]

4. Moka Pot Espresso

Adam Vuth

No fancy machines here, just a fancy metal pot! The Moka espresso pot is unique because it uses heat and pressure to shoot hot water through closely packed grounds. This process of using pressurized water through closely packed grounds creates the concentrated and dark espresso that we love to drink. To use the Moka pot, fill the water in the bottom piece up until it reaches the safety valve and pack the filter full of finely ground coffee to the brim. Screw it all together and boil it under medium high heat. Once you see that beautiful espresso fountain start to rise, you've done it! With espresso, you can make all types of drinks ranging from Cuban coffee to lattes, so this little pot is the perfect gateway to the world of espresso style drinks.

Time: 5-6 min

Cost: $8-$15 [Not including beans]

6. Vietnamese Phin

Adam Vuth

The Vietnamese coffee filter is unique because the coffee packed into the filter is similar to the Moka pot, except it extracts the coffee slowly. To use this filter, you unscrew the top piece, pack in finely grounded coffee, and screw it back on. Then you add boiling water and let it drip. Due to the size of the filter, the drip will be much slower than espresso or the regular drip method, but it creates a concentrated form of coffee that tastes incredible with condensed milk.

Time: 6-7 min

Cost of Device: $5-$10

7. Instant Coffee

Adam Vuth

Instant coffee is not something to be underestimated. While the sound of making coffee by simply pouring hot water over some crystallized coffee sounds strange, it is the easiest and cheapest method of coffee compared to the standard methods. Here, the quality of the coffee can really depend on the brand, so you'll just have to see what you like. Personally, I like Cafe Quetzal because it has a very smooth, dark, and roasty flavor compared to other instant coffees that I have tried.

Time: 1-2 min for boiling water

Cost of Coffee: $2-$5

8. Dalgona Coffee

Izzy Tice

In case instant coffee seemed a little boring to you, the recent trends of dalgona coffee have completely changed the experience. This method aerates instant coffee and sugar to a whipped cream-like consistency that pairs deliciously with cold or hot milk. To make dalgona coffee, use equal parts instant coffee and sugar in a bowl, and add a small amount of boiling hot water and begin to whip by using either a fork or a whisk. Once it becomes thick and foamy, add on top of milk and mix. Ta-da! Deliciously smooth and frothy coffee!

Time: 5-6 min

Cost of Coffee: $2-$7