Airplane food...you either love it or you hate it -- there's no in-between. Whether you're on a 12-hour flight, or you'll be getting on and off in a matter of two hours, it's impossible to deny the fact that for some odd reason, being up in the air 37,000 feet makes you really hungry. And in that moment after tasting the soggy and salty airline pretzels, you either regret the fact that you didn't bring your favorite snack, or you brought your favorite snack but it spilled or started to rot (or worse...TCA threw it out). The agony. The hanger. How do we survive?

Luckily, I've got eight airplane-proof snacks that will make you happy you chose them to come on board with you; not only are they all small and compact, perfect to fit in any carry-on, but they are also guaranteed to not be touched by TSA. They're also nutritious and filling, not to mention super tasty for those high-in-the-sky tummy-grumbling moments. 

Buckle your seatbelts! You don't know what's coming. 

1. Mandarins/Clementines

tangerine, citrus, clementine, juice, sweet, mandarin orange, orange, satsuma
Vanessa Amendola

If I had to pick a fruit that will always have your back, it's definitely the mandarin or clementine. These Cuties (seriously...they are called Cuties!) come in a perfect, thick peel that basically protects them from any and every movement, fall, or injury. It doesn't hurt that they're super small, too! Grab 1 or 2 and pack them in your carry-on for a juicy, hydrating snack filled with Vitamin A and Vitamin C

2. Skinny Pop Popcorn

popcorn
Lea Walsh

Any popcorn works, but I'm a huge Skinny Pop aficionado due to their simple ingredients list. Just how it should be! These small bags of popcorn are perfect for when you're craving something savory, but want just the perfect amount that's not too salty and cause you to have the thirst of your lifetime (which subsequently would involve seven trips to the bathroom due to that water chugging life). The original flavor contains 3 grams of fiber, which will totally help feel you full longer and keep those blood sugar levels stable. 

3. Mixed Nuts/Trail Mix

nut, almond, sweet, coffee
Kirby Barth

Personal favorite snack over here! I'm nuts for all kinds of trail mixes, especially when they're rich in a variety of tree nuts: cashews, almonds, pecans, walnuts, pistachios...love them all! I especially love packing a handful into a small plastic baggy mixed with some dried cranberries and calling it a day before I hop on a plane; so easy, so quick, and rich in healthy fats, plant-based protein, and more filling fiber. 

#Spoontip: if you opt for buying a pre-made version, make sure it's sodium free or low in sodium to avoid any fluid retention on the flight!

4. Lara Bars

chocolate
Emily Waples

I'm a huge fan of eating my food whole instead of all mixed together in a bar, but desperate times call for desperate measures, am I right? Bars are perfect and convenient for traveling, since they're just the right size, portion, and if you choose the right ones, taste great and contain good-for-you ingredients. Lara Bars are good options since they contain minimal ingredients and are date-based, making them naturally sweetened for when you want a sweet treat 30,000 feet in the air. 

5. Simple Mills Almond Flour Crackers Mini Packs with Hummus

Are you the type of person who is obsessed with dipping crunchy things into dips and creamy sauces? I sure am. I can't live without carrots and hummus, or tortilla chips and salsa. Something else I just discovered are these Almond Flour Crackers from Simple Mills; they're gluten-free as they're made from a nut-and-seed flour base, and have ingredients that will nourish you from the inside out. I can attest that they pair deliciously with Kite Hill Almond Milk Cream Cheese, but unfortunately it doesn't come in any airplane-friendly forms. These crackers, however, can be found in small bags, and you can pair them with some mini hummus packs (less than 3.4oz/100 ml allowed per TSA). 

6. Cereal

cereal, corn, wheat
Kristine Mahan

Raise your hand if you can live on cereal! My hand is raised all. the. way. I grew up on regular Cheerios and they still remain one of my favorite cereals today. Don't get me wrong, I love cereal with milk (#teamcrunchyandsoggy), but there's also something so delicious about eating cereal straight from the bag. Some of my favorite low-sugar options that are easy to pack into small plastic bags for easy travel are Love Grown Power O's, Fiber One Original, Kashi Warm Cinnamon Oat Cereal, and Barbara's Puffins. Crunchy snack craving satisfied.

7. Apples

apple, 3 apples, fuji apples, red apples, apples in hand, Healthy, Fruit

I have to include another fruit in here because there's no such thing as too many! There are, however, too many fruits that can go bad easily when not refrigerated, or they're too mushy to even last five seconds intact in your purse (looking at you, bananas). Apples are a great option, since they're hard and have a thick skin which can survive any challenge that comes their way. They also make a healthy and sweet treat; but if you're craving something a little more sour, grab a Granny Smith instead of a pack of sour gummies...your body will be grateful for the nourishment!

8. Rice Cakes with Nut/Seed Butter

sweet, cake, cream, pastry, pudding, pie, chocolate, dairy product, bread, custard
Ashley Blume

I know, I know...you think of rice cakes and you immediately think: bland. You're not wrong! However, brown rice cakes are an incredible way to get in some gut-friendly fiber in the form of complex carbohydrates; they'll help keep you fuller longer, and help maintain those blood sugar levels at bay. On their own they might not shine, but when paired with your favorite nut or seed butter (in an airplane-friendly/TSA-accepted size), you've hit a home-run with your snack. Healthy, crunchy, delicious...can't ask for more!

If you don't know what to pack for your next airplane trip to prevent #hanger, these eight foods are sure to be life-savers. They're nutrient-dense, compact, taste great, and will change your flight mood from hangry to cheerful in just one bite. Airplane munchies...cured!