For some of us, going on a long run means some peaceful alone time. For others, it means training for that half marathon coming up. For a select few, including myself, it means that I'm going to run, and then be able to eat anything I want. 

After I run, I have the bad habit of eating everything in my pantry, and really anything I can get my hands onto. Here are 8 simple and easy snacks to have post run.

1. A Piece of Avocado Toast

My personal favorite snack to eat is a simple piece of multigrain toast with avocado on top. Avocado itself has a lot of healthy fats for a speedy recovery along with numerous nutrients that are equally as good.   

2. Eggs

Protein, protein, protein. Protein is one of the best things you can give to your body after a run. For example, as written in the Mens Journal, eggs are a fast, easy, and simple way to consume protein. Or put them on top of some avocado toast!

egg, chicken, egg yolk

3. A Granola Bar

From Kind Bars, to Nature Valley, and then Kashi, there are millions of types and flavors of granola bars in a local grocery store. They are, if the right ingredients are added, a great way to get a lot of vitamins and nutrients into your body. 

4. Chocolate Milk

When you were a kid, chocolate milk was the go-to snack after soccer practice. The drink has double the amount of carbs and protein in one serving size. It contains little sugar and is also very good for strengthening teeth.  

5. Nuts 

While many people believe the myth that nuts are too fattening, nuts are a great post run snack. According to Women's Running, runners should eat 4 specific nuts after runs. Almonds, Cashew nuts, Walnuts, and pistachios. All four have specific nutrients and specific roles in the recovery of a run. 

nut
Torey Walsh

6. A Banana

Everyone knows that bananas contain potassium, but why the heck are these fruits so popular? Bananas are rich in dietary fiber which helps the prevention of cramps, they contain probiotics, and are known to get rid of that sugar craving you have. They also help muscle stiffness and soreness

7. Water

The best way to hydrate is to simply drink of water. Many sports drinks contain electrolytes and help regain nutrients, but I believe water will forever be the best post- workout drink. It is simple and pure, and is able to replenish the glycogen that you lost during your run. 

milk, yogurt, soda, water, ice, cream, juice
Kristine Mahan

8. Trail Mix

According to Runners World Magazine, trail mix can be the strongest thing to eat after a workout. After working out, dehydration is not the only thing that can happen to your body. You can experience muscle drain and loss of glycogen. Trail mix can help both, and also give your body lots of healthy sugars. 

chocolate, peanut, nut, candy
Christin Urso

After a long run or a long workout, you feel energized, excited, and good about yourself. Now you are able to eat good food and feel even better.