We have all been there, had an important party, a first date, or big family event and you look in the mirror and wham, all of a sudden you have a pop worthy pimple on your forehead. “Why?” You might ask yourself. Why do we get pimples right before an important event?

One of the main reasons is stress. Stress causes breakouts, while also pushing people towards eating greasy foods like hamburgers and fries, which end up causing acne. But, what if instead of indulging on these greasy but tasty foods, you started doing something good for your skin during these stressful times? Check of these 7 foods that can help prevent those annoying and untimely breakouts.

1. Fish

breakouts

Photo courtesy of Yonatan Soler

Fish contain omega-3 fatty acids (not to be confused with omega-6 fatty acids which is actually what causes breakouts), that can help tame inflammation in the pores, creating pimples. Some of the best fish to eat includes salmon, mackerel and sardines.

2. Nuts

breakouts

Photo courtesy of Kirby Barth

Nuts are filled with many different nutrients that are all essential for healthy skin. A few of these nutrients include vitamin E, potassium, calcium, and iron.

3. Green Tea

breakouts

Photo courtesy of Jessica Payne

Green tea contains an antioxidant that reduces the production of oil in the pores, but it takes up to 8 weeks in order to see a difference. You can either drink the green tea throughout the day or you can apply cooled tea bags to your face for 10 to 15 minutes. For those of you who don’t like green tea, here is a list of other foods that contain high levels of EGCG, the antioxidant that reduces oil production.

4. Juicing

breakouts

Photo courtesy of Anna Hsu

Fruits and vegetables naturally clear up skin, so why not buy or make a juice and maybe even get an Instagram pic out of it? Juices that contain dark leafy greens clear toxins that produce acne and dark colored berries contain nutrients that are good your skin.

5. Vegetables

breakouts

Photo courtesy of Emily Hu

For those of you who are not into juicing, you could always go with the old fashion way and just eat vegetables. Fennel and artichokes are both natural cleansers that will flush out toxins in your skin. Broccoli contains vitamin A, B complex, C, E, and K which all fight damage, helping the luminosity of skin. Alfalfa Sprouts contain enzymes that help fight inflammation of the pores. My personal favorite, cucumber, contains lots of water, which is not only great for clearing out those pore-clogging toxins, but also just good for you in general.

6. Brown Rice

breakouts

Photo courtesy of Abby Wang

Brown rice is rich in vitamin B, which can act as a natural stress reliever. Stress is a huge cause of acne and with finals coming up around the corner, I know I will need all the vitamin B I can get. Vitamin B works to regulate hormone levels, which prevents the likelihood of breakouts.

7. Avocado

breakouts

Photo courtesy of Dervisevic on flickr.com

This trendy food is more than just a tasty snack and a pretty picture, it also contains a lot of vitamin E and C, which reduce skin inflammation and naturally moisturizes your skin.