We’ve all been obsessed with these foods one time or another (or the whole year), but with the start of 2015 comes new food trends. It’s time to leave these overeaten foods behind.

1. Kale

2014

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Ask any of my friends and they’ll tell you I’m obsessed with kale. It’s the Californian in me, I suppose. Kale was a staple for me this year – without a meal plan, I found kale to be the cheapest and easiest vegetable to cook. Sautéed kale? Delicious. Baked kale chips? Delicious. Kale smoothies? Nothing better. Kale salads? Yes please.

The thing about eating so much kale in one semester though, is that when I came home to a garden full of kale, I immediately told my mom to get me some arugula for my salad instead. Kale is a superfood, there’s no doubt about it, but there are plenty of other greens that have just as many nutrients.

2. Quinoa

2014

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

I’ve always had a love-hate relationship with quinoa. My family was far ahead of the quinoa trend, buying this ancient grain since 2011. I’d always preferred brown rice, however – there was something off-putting about the texture of quinoa. But as a college student, quinoa is faster to cook and provides more protein, so I gave in to the quinoa trend and bought myself a bag. I found it to be pretty versatile. Not only can you use it as a rice or pasta substitute, you can also use it to bulk up your pancakes, baked goods, or oatmeal.

For 2015, however, there are many more grains you can eat instead of quinoa. Try freekeh, for example.

3. Pumpkin Spiced Foods

2014

Photo by Smita Jain

I know, I know. Earlier this year, I was the champion of pumpkin spice. This was in the midst of the pumpkin spice craze, when speculation of pumpkin spiced condoms was a thing. It was in September, when the promise of fall hung in the air.

Fast forward a couple of months later to December. It’s snowing and it’s cold and I’m sick of pumpkin spice, along with probably the rest of the world. There’s only so many things you can make pumpkin spiced and only so much time you can spend selling them before the general public begins to suffer from a pumpkin spice overdose.

Now, my container of Pumpkin Pie Spice is sitting untouched in my cabinet and I have half a mind to return it to Trader Joe’s.

4. Gluten-Free Foods

2014

Photo Courtesy of Flickr User Marla Showfer

Celiac’s disease suffers and other gluten-intolerant people rejoiced at the gluten-free craze, since grocery stores began stocking gluten-free foods left and right. I remember when it was the hardest thing to find quinoa pasta. Now, walk into virtually any supermarket and you’ll find a dozen varieties on the shelf.

Though there’s been a whole lot of back and forth debate on this, I personally have tried the gluten-free diet due to mild gluten intolerance and enjoyed some aspects of it. First, it really makes you think about what carbs you put into your body. Kraft Mac ‘n Cheese? Probably not what you should be eating. Second, it forces you to eat a lot more whole grains. I began eating more brown rice and quinoa instead of pasta and bread.

But the thing with gluten-free foods is that they may not necessarily be healthy. A lot of people go for gluten-free cookies thinking that they’ll be healthier than normal cookies. They usually leave unimpressed and unsatisfied. In addition, a lot of gluten-free baked goods are made with almond meal, which can be far higher in calories than normal whole wheat flour. A lot of gluten-free flours also lack the nutrients that whole wheat flour provides.

Now, I personally still don’t eat very much bread or pasta and choose whole grains instead, but if there’s a delicious baguette that’s calling my name, I won’t say no and insist that it be made without gluten.

5. Hybrid Foods

2014

Photo by Katya Simkhovich

Cronuts were the brainchild of famed New York baker Dominique Ansel and started this whole hybrid baked goods craze. Though it was officially created mid-2013, the hybrid foods didn’t really take control until 2014. We began to see ramen burgers, waffle doughnuts (not-so-charmingly dubbed “wonuts”), and even doughnut grilled cheeses and doughnut cheeseburgers.

Personally, I didn’t really understand the hype behind cronuts – they didn’t sound appetizing and the knock-off one I had was in no way comparable to regular doughnuts. They are, however, more understandable than some of Taco Bell’s hybrid monstrosities.

2014

Photo courtesy of Flickr User Mike Mozart

If there’s anyone that hates Taco Bell more without actually having tried it, it’s me. This Waffle Taco takes it one step too far though. Understandably, it could be seen as a play on the classic chicken and waffles, but it makes me want to puke. So long waffle taco – let’s hope that you disappear along as 2014 ends.

6. Sriracha

2014

Photo by Kavya George

Oh yes. Who doesn’t love Sriracha? It’s spicy, it’s delicious, it’s oh-so-addicting. It tastes good on basically everything and gives your metabolism a kickstart. Though when you start putting Sriracha on a key chain and selling it for $6 a bottle, it may be time to reevaluate our obsession…

7. Bacon

2014

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Though bacon smells more delicious than almost anything on earth, 2014 overdid it by putting bacon on (and in) everything, from chocolate to burgers to vodka. Bacon has always been popular, but 2014 was a year of bacon-mania. Though it seems like bacon will continue to remain one of America’s most loved foods, it’s time for it to share the spotlight with some of 2015’s star foods.

And one we can’t just let go of:

Avocados

2014

Photo by Becky Hughes

2014 was definitely the year of the avocado toast. As over-instagrammed as it is, I still have an undying love for avocados, and it seems like the rest of the nation isn’t ready to let it go either.

Unfortunately, we may have to scale back a little bit. Remember the guacapolypse threat earlier this year? Well, it’s still there. California is currently still in a drought, and avocados take a lot of water to grow. Farmers are trying to genetically engineer an avocado that won’t need as much water, but as of now, we’re consuming more avocados than they can really grow. No wonder they’re so expensive.

2015 is a brand new year, so go forth and try new foods! For inspiration, check out the most anticipated food trends of 2015.