When I visited one of my best friends in the Netherlands' capital, I was adamant that I only really wanted to do two things: 1) spend time gossiping and catching up, and 2) eat amazing food at hip, tasty, and non-touristy restaurants. And boy, did she deliver! In between boat parties on the Amstel, bike rides from one quaint marketplace to another, and photographic services on Amsterdam's iconic bridges, we made sure to fill our tummies with the best food and alcohol. 

Here are a few of the places that made my tastebuds feel simultaneously adventurous and at home. 

1. Bar Basquiat 

Marie Chantal Marauta

For our reunion dinner, my friend took me to this sweet yet edgy place on the Javastraat, one of the city's prettiest streets. With menu items ranging from deep-fried corn on the cob (pictured above), to Tacos de Pescado, to Pad Thai, not to mention delicious, high-quality drinks, Bar Basquiat took my tastebuds on a trip around the world from the comfort of my seat. 

2. Dignita 

Marie Chantal Marauta

We visited the Hoftuin branch of this all-day brunch restaurant, whose floor-to-ceiling windows filled the gorgeous, minimalist space with sunlight and good vibes. Dignita's slogan is "eat well, do good," which is emblematic of it's menu and ambience. Offering items like a Buddha bowl, avocado toast, and a creative variation of "smoked" salmon (all pictured above), Dignita is the perfect place to go if you want to eat healthy and feel filled yet light as a feather. 

3. Vegan Junk Food Bar 

Marie Chantal Marauta

The site of my favourite meal in Amsterdam (and perhaps one of my favourite meals ever) was this gorgeous, trendy and vibrant restaurant that serves vegan variations of iconic junk foods, from stacked burgers to French fry plates piled high with extras. Pictured above is their blue corn chik'n tortilla (get it? Because it's not actually chicken?), which was a foodgasmic combination of strong and subtle flavours, and soft and crunchy textures. 

Pair their scrumptious food with refreshing, buzz-inducing drinks while lounging on their brightly-coloured benches in the sun and you get one of the most idyllic experiences Amsterdam has to offer. 

4. Bakers & Roasters 

Marie Chantal Marauta

This extremely popular brunch place has an average 45-minute wait time, but if you make it in you'll get an array of creative brunch plates. From their eggs benny (pictured above), to their chorizo and kūmara hash, to their pumpkin butter porridge, this bustling café is the Sunday brunch home to the city's trendiest foodies. The highlight of the meal? A delicious mimosa, which was served as a glass of fresh orange juice accompanied by a mini bottle of flavorful Prosecco. Adorable

5. JACKS  

Marie Chantal Marauta

If you're in the mood for luscious juices and shakes, aromatic coffee, or thick and tasty, freshly-made sandwiches, JACKS juice bar and kitchen is the perfect place for you. Their avocado and banana shake with almond milk, pictured above, was a great energizer, and gave me the boost needed to bike across the city. Also, the assortment of health gurus and hipsters chit chatting away around me made me feel super in vogue. 

6. Vegabond 

Marie Chantal Marauta

This charming vegan café is situated right next to one of Amsterdam's characteristic canals, and serves some of the best desserts I've ever had. Pictured above are their crunchy carrot cake and their rich and creamy dark chocolate brownie with coconut whipped cream, which my friend and I enjoyed on a bench by the water. Delicious, allergen-free desserts, great service, a relaxing ambience and amazing company - what more could I ask for? 

If you find yourself in Amsterdam, be sure to check out one of these picturesque places. If you're anything like me, the first things you'll remember when you look back on your holiday won't be sitting on the "I Amsterdam" sign or visiting the Van Gogh Museum. It will be talking the days away with people you love while eating some of the most delicious food this city has to offer. 

For more on foodie adventures in the Netherlands, check out these articles: 

- 10 Best Waterside Terraces in Amsterdam 

- What Are Stroopwafels? What to Know About This Dutch Cookie

- What to Eat If You Only Have 24 Hours in Amsterdam