Almond butter has quickly become the next "it" thing in the food world these last few years, beginning to be favored by many over peanut butter. While the standard uses for almond butter vary from spreading over toast to adding to smoothies, there are so many more amazing (and slightly questionable) uses for it. Specifically, here are the top five weirdest uses for almond butter that I could find. 

1. Almond butter & salami 

David Mellor Fork with Salami

Didriks on Flickr

This is a true example of "don't knock it till you've tried it." The first time I heard about this was when my best friend was eating it while on Facetime with me. My initial reaction? WTF... My reaction after trying it? Oh... I kind of dig it. If you're a fan of the sweet and salty combo, I especially urge you to try this. 

How do you go about eating this? Take a piece of salami, slap on some almond butter, and chomp away.

2. Almond butter noodles

lime
Libby Perold

Anyone who's a fan of Thai food may already be familiar with peanut butter sauces, which are very popularly used on dishes such as noodles or satays. I figure, if peanut butter can be made into a sauce, why can't almond butter be as well? Some people may even prefer the slightly sweeter taste of the almond butter.

This is one I have yet to try myself, but definitely will be turning to the next time I'm craving something Thai-inspired. Simply search up any peanut sauce recipe and substitute the peanut butter with almond butter.

3. Almond chicken soup

File:A bowl of Thukpa.jpg

Image from WikiCommons

Classic chicken soup is usually made with a clear broth, but sometimes you just crave a more creamy and hearty kind of soup. Well, why not have the best of both worlds? I found this recipe that calls for the addition of almond butter into a traditional chicken soup to create a creamier, more filling dish. If I were someone who had the time to make my own soup, this would definitely be one on my list to try. 

4. Almond butter & sweet potato

sweet, cream, meat
Christin Urso

To some of you, this one may not sound too weird, but to others, this may sound just as weird as the salami and almond butter combo. The sweet potato and almond butter pairing is something that I recently started eating quite frequently. The sweetness of both foods go together a lot better than you might imagine. So next time you cook a plain sweet potato, try jazzing it up by drizzling some almond butter over it.

5. Almond butter grilled cheese sandwich

Rosemary Apple Butter Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife on Flickr

I'll admit, this is the one combination out of the five that has me both extremely intrigued and grossed out at the same time. Not sure if I'll be testing this one out anytime soon, but then again, I use to be equally weirded out but the thought of almond butter and salami.

After reading the recipe for this grilled cheese and hearing why blogger Bevcooks decided to create the pairing, I can start to imagine how it could possibly be a delicious creation after all.

Whether you're a seasoned almond butter user or someone who is totally new to the trend, I highly suggest you give these combos a go. You never know, your new favorite food could be one of the five things in this post.