Valentine's Day: one of the most loved yet hated holidays. While some already have their chocolates and flowers secured, others may feel down because they are "alone" for this day. The truth is that you're never alone, since so many others are having the same exact thoughts as you. So, instead of scrolling through Instagram and looking at everyone's seemingly "perfect" relationships, here are five ways you can fall in love with yourself this Valentine's Day.

1. Spa day for one

Treat yourself. Go out and buy some goodies (or make your own) to give yourself the relaxing pampering you deserve. Head to your local CVS and grab some face masks, new nail polish, a bottle of wine, and anything else you want for your special day. When you get home, change into your fluffiest robe (or comfiest clothes), turn on some Ariana Grande, and start your self-care routine. Dance around your kitchen, take a nap or two, and smile to yourself as you realize that you made this day even more special all on your own.

2. Make yourself your favorite meal (or order in) 

College, college cooking, Cooking, homemade, Rice noodles, noodles, Thai food, Thai, Thai peanut sauce, Thai Peanut Rice Noodles, Noodle Pull, Lifting Noodles
Amy Dong

Who says you have to have someone else cook you a romantic meal? Try out one of those recipes you have saved but never got the chance to try. If you've never cooked before, this is an opportunity to take time for yourself to find out what you can do! If you have tried cooking and already know that doing more than pouring a bowl of cereal will be a fire hazard, order in. Whether its Thai food you haven't had in a minute or that one falafel place you've been dying to try, it will fill your heart (and stomach) with joy and happiness.

3. Watch your favorite movie or TV show 

coffee, cake
Emily Genzer

Seeing romantic comedies on Valentine's Day is overrated. Instead, snuggle up on the couch with your favorite pillows, blankets, and snacks while you throw yourself your own personal movie (or TV show) marathon. Sometimes watching a feel-good flick will lift your spirits up, no matter how many times you've seen it. There are plenty of shows and movies on Netflix and Hulu, or you can stream almost anything on YouTube or Amazon. You will feel amazing as you envelop yourself in your warm blankets for a few hours. While you're at it, take a nap too. You definitely deserve a break.

4. Go for a walk

I know this may not be possible for some of you (especially people who live in Michigan— yikes), but going outside for a walk is one of the best activities one can do for one's mental (and physical) wellbeing. Put some headphones on and play your favorite, upbeat playlist while you walk around. Absorb your surroundings and take deep breaths. This may not seem like much, but setting time aside for yourself and staying in the present is so important for your overall happiness. Take this time to think about anything and everything, let your imagination run wild and fall into a state of peace.

5. Tell yourself "I am strong. I am beautiful. I can do this."

This may seem cliché, but it definitely helps. Psychologists say that for every negative thought, we should tell ourselves seven positive thoughts to counteract it. Whether it's out loud or in your head, take the time to tell yourself how amazing you are. Don't focus on your physical features either, because you are so much more than that. Give yourself the empowerment you need: "I am resilient, I am strong, I matter, I am enough." It may seem weird, and you may feel uncomfortable showering yourself with compliments, but it gets easier with time. Most importantly, you deserve it.

Remember that love comes from within, which is why it is so important that you find love in yourself rather than someone else. Even though you may be bombarded with pictures of red roses and romantic candles this Valentine's Day, just remember that roses get you through a holiday, whereas self love gets you through a lifetime.