Those familiar red heart boxes have started popping up in stores again so naturally, as a relationship-less chocolate-lover, I feel obligated to buy multiple boxes of the love themed treats. As I was staring at the chocolates I realized the the variety of Valentine’s Day chocolates is an uncharted territory and one that desperately needs some, pardon the pun, lovin’.

Valentine's Day chocolate

Photo by Alma Wang

The Friendship Chocolate (~$5)

You can usually find these chocolates in your local drugstore and for about five dollars you get about three, hopefully really good, chocolates. It’s like a portion controlled heart of happiness. That craving for a bit of chocolate luxury? Satisfied. Thinking about giving this to someone? Nothing says, “I put some effort into getting this, but not a lot,” like a miniature box of chocolates. It’s the kind of thing you get for a few friends or someone with a little more significance in your life. Similarly buying a Valentine’s Day themed large Reese’s heart or Hershey’s chocolate has a similar level of sentimental meaning, as in probably very little.

Valentine's Day chocolate

Photo by Alma Wang

Typical Drugstore Chocolate (~$10-15)

Walk into the typical CVS and what there? These large hearts are filled chocolates and corny Valentine’s Day stereotypes. They’re just the perfect size to say “Hey, you’re my valentine,” but generic enough to show that you bought the chocolates semi-last minute from the closest drugstore. It’s a Valentine’s Day classic: timeless and romantic and a no brainer. The price to chocolate ratio keeps your wallet chubby and your chocolate desires satisfied.

Valentine's Day chocolate

Photo by Alma Wang

Fancy Expensive Chocolate (~$20-35)

Nothing says “Treat yo’ self” like a box of overpriced chocolates. If you bought these chocolates, you’re moving up in life, or at least think you are. Getting someone ultra fancy chocolates shows that 1) you’ve got a little foodie in you or 2) the person receiving the chocolates is also a bit of a foodie. I’ve found that the fancier the chocolates, the more likely they are to be dark chocolate and taste like a touch of pretentiousness. There’s a definite improvement taste-wise, like the chocolates have actual recognizable ingredients in them. This particular box of King Arthur Flour Chocolates mixed luxurious dark chocolate ganache with flavors like Earl Grey Tea and Plum Armagnac as to appease the chocolate connoisseur in all of us.

Not into chocolate? Check out these other fun ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day: