Last summer, I picked up a job at Jamba Juice to make some extra cash. Though I thought it would be chill, regarding both temperature and social atmosphere, I got smacked with a heat wave of customers (and at one point, an actual heat wave when our AC broke). Even though I no longer work there, I wanted to make the most of my experience by sharing some words of advice for your next Jamba Juice order. 

1. Split your cups

Heather Held

As some customers often point out, the smoothies aren’t cheap. A small (16 oz) Jamba Juice order typically costs around $5, plus a little extra if you add in multiple boosts. If you’re with a friend who wants the same drink, it saves a couple bucks if you buy a large (28 oz) size and ask to split it into two small cups. Though half of a large size is a little short of a small, there’s usually extra smoothie in the blender to fill in the space.

#SpoonTip: Join the Insider Reward Program to earn some free perks!

2. Sub out unwanted ingredients

Heather Held

Don’t like the taste of soymilk? You can sub it out for almond or 2% milk instead! If there’s one ingredient in the drink that’s not working for you, the team members can switch it out for any other available ingredient used for other smoothies. If you have any allergies, let the cashier know and they’ll make a note to have your smoothie put together in a special blender using a separate fruit scoop.

3.  It's not a design-your-own smoothie

Heather Held

Though we can alter your drink, don't go too crazy on the substitutions. The smoothies on the menu follow a basic recipe, so they’re designed to always come out with the perfect consistency and color. However, the quality of the smoothie is sacrificed when customers tweak the recipe too much. There’s a difference between substituting in more strawberries for bananas and asking for “no ice” and more juice. The team members will try to make each order come out with the right consistency, but don’t be mad when your personalized drink comes out too thick or an odd tint of purple.

4. Know the "Goodness Guarantee"

Heather Held

If you don’t like your smoothie, don't be shy to tell a team member; they’ll make you another smoothie for no charge! Team members want to make sure you walk out of the store satisfied with your Jamba Juice order, so if the PB ‘N Jealous doesn’t taste as expected, ask for an always-reliable Mango A-Go-Go or another classic. However, team members will be more reluctant to remake your order if you’ve already consumed most of the smoothie and still return for another one.

5. Most drinks aren't exactly healthy

Heather Held

Just because there’s fruit in a drink doesn’t mean it’s good for you. The classic smoothies have two scoops of sherbet (basically ice cream) and three scoops of fruit. However, drinks like Chocolate Moo’d or Orange Dream Machine have 4-5 scoops of sherbet, almost resembling milkshakes. The ultimate sweet treats are on the secret menu (such as White Gummi, Red Gummi, and more) and have the highest sherbet to fruit ratio. So while these drinks are very sweet and tasty, they’re not the best options for dieters.

Heather Held

If you’re going to treat yourself to a smoothie, having your Jamba Juice order how you like it is what’s most important for your satisfaction and the team members’ satisfaction. Price and health aside, Jamba Juice drinks are still meant to be enjoyed. Even through all the crazy requests and questionable mixes of kale and peanut butter, Jamba Juice team members will do their best to make sure each drink comes out to your taste and preference.