Your mind and your body don't always have the same plan. Your mind may tell you, "eat that cupcake!" Yet, your body wants you to resist the urge and reach for some fruit instead. This is just one example of a common dilemma most college students run into. The best solution is to figure out the perfect balance. Well, as perfect as a college student can. Here are 5 things that will probably happen inside your body this week.

1. Metabolism

alcohol, liquor, wine, stout, beer
Stephanie Zajac

The word 'metabolism' is thrown around a lot, but not many people actually know what it means. So, what is metabolism? Metabolism refers to all chemical reactions in the body. More specifically, how the body breaks down food and creates energy. You need metabolism to create energy in order to digest food, encourage circulation, and contract your muscles. In other words, you need this energy to walk to class…or your bed. However, you will have to do more than that if your goal is to lose weight. This involves burning fat, which happens when you burn more calories. Whether you are trying to lose weight or not, metabolism is always happening in your body.

2. Fruit Sugar Breakdown

vegetable, peach, apple
Cherie Mak

This may come as a surprise to some students, but fruit sugar is better for your body than sugars from junk food. This refers to natural sugar from fruits versus other sugars found in processed foods. One of the main reasons natural sugars are better for your body, is that it keeps your blood sugar levels regulated. Perks of fruit sugars include weight control and protection against some diseases. The daily recommended amount of fruit for an adult is 2-4 servings. This leaves room for any sugar cravings, so next time you reach for junk food, you should feel slightly guilty.

3. Protein, Fat, & Carbohydrate Breakdown

French, baguette, bread, wheat, flour, pastry, dough, sweet
Caroline Ingalls

Proteins, fats and carbohydrates all have one thing in common: they are all sources of energy. Most people get that part right, but fail to realize they can all be good. That’s right, they can all be good. Protein is important for muscle recovery after exercise. Fat can be bad in excess, but is also important for organ protection and prolonged exercise. Carbs are the primary source of energy and are important for high intensity exercise.

#SpoonTip: Eat just 1 cup of flour and you'll get about 13g of protein!

4. Alcohol Breakdown

whisky, soda, juice, beer, wine, ice, liquor, vodka, alcohol
Alex Frank

Can we really blame it on the alcohol? When alcohol enters your body, an enzyme found in the liver breaks it down. A portion of it is directly absorbed into your bloodstream, which is why it doesn’t take long to kick in. The range of time required for absorption is based on the carbonation, alcohol content, and any food in the stomach that might slow it down. Too much alcohol can damage your brain, liver, heart, and other organs. When people tell you to drink responsibly, there is actually a deeper meaning, even if they don’t know it. In conclusion, we can definitely blame it on the alcohol.

5. Avocado Breakdown

gif
Jina Kim

This would only be one of the 5 things that will probably happen in your body by the end of the week if you like avocados. There are good and bad sides to this popular fruit. They contain many vitamins and minerals found in daily value recommendations and are low in sugar. One thing to be aware of is that they are high in fat. Don’t worry too much because this is monounsaturated fat, which helps decrease bad cholesterol. Although avocados are high in calories, you can still enjoy avocado toast every once in a while.

These 5 things that will probably happen inside your body by the end of this week happen whether you are a hardworking college student or a lazy one. So eat more protein, burn some fat, and show your body some love!