As a college student, it can be all too easy to fall into a pattern of fast food dinners and constant dessert. Breakfast, in case you forgot, is the best meal of the day, and one great way to incorporate fruits and veggies is through smoothie bowls. Cold, creamy and delicious, smoothie bowls are the perfect breakfast to flex during your 8am zoom class. After you've blended your smoothie of choice, it's topping time! Here are 5 smoothie bowl toppings that you need to try ASAP.

1. Granola

homemade granola

Stacy Spensley on Flickr

For the perfect sweet crunch atop any bowl, granola is an absolute must. Whether you make your own at home or pick up a bag, play it safe with a neutral flavor or go wild with a fun combo. 

My fave: Kind Oats & Honey Granola Clusters

2. Creamy Nut Butter

Fresh made creamy peanut butter in a glass jar with spoon

wuestenigel on Flickr

To add some protein and richness, a drizzle of your favorite nut butter will always do the trick. Natural peanut butters tend to work the best, but if you're working with a thick JIF or almond butter, mix with a bit of coconut oil and microwave - you'll have a thin, creamy sauce in no time.

My fave: Trader Joe's Organic PB Creamy and Salted

3. Sliced Fruit

Slices of kiwi and banana, strawberry, currant, mulberry and currant on wooden background

wuestenigel on Flickr

My knife skills are nowhere near Playa Bowls level, but some sliced bananas, peaches, mango, kiwi or berries just hit so different at breakfast time. Fruit + more fruit = magic. 

My fave: Freeze-Dried Blueberries

4. Seeds

Flax Seeds and Chia Seeds

formulatehealth on Flickr

Texture AND healthy AF? Count me in. Toss a tablespoon of seeds on top of your bowl: choose from chia, flax, hemp, sunflower, pumpkin...the list goes on.

My fave: Mamma Chia Organic Black Chia Seeds

5. Shredded Coconut

nut, coconut, nutmeg
Jessica Yeh

This one is my secret weapon. Tropical, chewy and sweet, coconut adds healthy fat and soaks up all that good smoothie flavor at the same time. An absolute must. 

My fave: Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flakes