I love fall, but not because of the pumpkin spice lattes or apple picking. Fall is when I finally get to enjoy one of my favorite fruits: pears. While pumpkins and apples get all the credit for being fall staples, pears are forgotten about, just like the one sweater that's been in the back of your closet all summer. But the thing about that sweater is that you remember how amazing you look in it when you finally try it on. The same goes for pears. 

When my mom would go to the grocery store, the pears used to sit in the back of the fridge while my sister and I would devour the highly coveted granny smith apples. Once pears were all that was left, I would begrudgingly grab one from the fridge and cut it up for an afternoon snack – but after one bite I would remember how much I loved them. Soon, they were the first thing that I grabbed from the fridge. I stopped ignoring pears, and I'm here to tell you why you should too. 

They're a Superfood

pasture, apple, juice
Alex Tom

Pears are not just juicy and delicious. They are also one of the healthier fall foods. Researchers have linked pears with decreased risk of diseases such as cancer, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease. Make sure not to peel them first because most of the nutrients are in the skin. 

They Have Hundreds of Flavors

pear, pasture, apple, juice, sweet
Meghan Buonanno

There are over 3,000 different types of pears, and each of them has a distinct flavor. My personal favorite, the Bartlett pear, is juicy and sweet, whereas if you're looking for more of a crunch the Anjou may be your best choice. So make sure not to discount all pears until you try them all. 

They Can Be Savory... 

A photo posted by @mbstic on

Upgrade your next dinner party with a pear-themed appetizer. You will be sure to impress with a pear and goat cheese crostini or prosciutto-wrapped pears, both easy to make but deceptively high class. 

...Or Sweet

pastry, sweet, bread, cake
Jamie Medina

If you're anything like me, you too think that dessert is the most important meal of the day. There are endless options for pear desserts. When you have time to spare, you can show off with a beautiful pear galette, or if you're in the mood for a quick and easy dessert, try a simple baked pear dish. After you try these, that apple pie will be yesterday's news. 

They're Super Juicy

pear, apple, pasture, sweet, juice
Meghan Buonanno

Make sure to grab a napkin because of the juice that will be inevitably running down your chin when you bite into the perfect pear. As long as you know how to correctly ripen your pears, you will end up with a perfect succulent snack from the fridge or even straight off the counter. Once you take that ideal bite, you will never overlook pears ever again.