Have you ever been writing an exam, then suddenly you've gotten hungry and completely lost your focus? Well if you have, it is probably because you are not eating a proper breakfast before your exam. A lot of people don't know what to eat before an exam because there is a fine line between over and under eating. A common issue is that students don't know what are good brain foods and don't feed their bodies proper nutrients, which could lead to not staying fully focused the entire time of your exam. Here is a list of 5 hearty breakfasts to eat before an exam so you can ace your finals this semester.

1. Avocado Toast

egg, toast, avocado, bread
Maggie Finney

This is my personal favourite breakfast to eat before an exam, it is easy to make and is sure to keep you full until after your exam. It just takes three ingredients and you can make a delicious meal. Avocados are known for being a great brain food and are quite filling, making it a great food to eat before an exam. Adding an egg to your avocado toast is a really great idea if you are wanting to include some protein in the meal and also gives some extra flavour. 

2. Omlette

omelette, cheese
Hailey Maher

Who doesn't love a good omelette for breakfast? If you really want to load up on the brain food, a great idea is to add a green leafy vegetable such as spinach. Depending on the type of exam you are writing, it may be a good idea to add in some broccoli since it has been proven that broccoli can improve your ability to remember verbal instructions. To top it all off, I would suggest adding feta cheese to the omelette. 

3. Yogurt Parfait

ice, strawberry, yogurt, cream
Maggie Harriman

If you are not a morning person, this is the perfect pre-exam breakfast option for you because it is easy to make the night before and gives you some extra time to sleep the morning of the exam. Yogurt parfaits are a great option because there are so many different ways to make it. A good idea is to add blueberries because they are a great brain food since they are full of antioxidants which have been proven to increase brain cell communications. You can get very creative with what you add.

4. Protein Smoothie

smoothie, sweet, juice
Christin Urso

Not everyone is a fan of eating in the morning but as we know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. A smoothie is an easy option and is good for those who are not hungry in the morning. The great thing about smoothies is that there are so many different ways to make it accordingly to your likes and dislikes. Take a look at this how-to guide and get some idea's on how to make a delicious smoothie. I would recommend adding some brain foods into your smoothie, like spinach and blueberries. Another good thing to add is some protein powder if you feel that a regular smoothie doesn't fill you up enough. 

5. Oatmeal

blueberry, cereal, sweet, milk, yogurt, muesli, berry, oatmeal, porridge
Becky Hughes

Another healthy option to eat before an exam is oatmeal, it does not require many ingredients or much effort. As mentioned earlier, blueberries are great for fuelling the brain so adding some to your oatmeal is a good idea. Walnuts have also shown to help improve brain function since they contain high amounts of omega-3 fatty acid. If you are not an oatmeal lover, it is not too late too start. These oatmeal hacks will change your mind once you can see the delicious breakfast you are missing out on.

Now that you have five different options of different breakfasts to eat before exams, you never have to lose focus from being hungry during an exam again. Self-care is extremely important during finals so feed your body the proper nutrients it needs. Now it's time for you to make your grocery list and stock up on all the necessary brain foods!