You know it's that special time of year again when you can't stop dreaming about cake and presents. Although this is my favorite time of the year, I constantly debate over what to do to celebrate my birthday. There's nothing I love more than to party with my friends, don't get me wrong, but it can be hard to decide what to do and who to do it with. This list of the best five places to celebrate your birthday in NYC will hopefully make your birthday as special as can be. 

1. Sushi Roxx

cheese
Emma Fein

First on the list is a modern and fun take on a sushi restaurant. Not only do they have great truffle popcorn and sushi pizza, but there is entertainment during the meal. There is a group of waiters and waitresses who have choreographed dances to perform during your dinner. Plus, they make a really big deal when it's your birthday. They even put your name on a bunch of TV screens!

2. Vandal

Next up is the trendy, and photogenic, Vandal. Not only do they have a large pink sculpture of a bunny that makes for a great picture, but they also have artwork around the entire restaurant and a photo-video booth. They offer a variety of foods, from their heaven spot mini burgers to their New York hot pretzel steak tartare. The restaurant itself has a fun vibe that is sure to get any birthday party started.

3. Lips

Lips is a restaurant known for making sure you have a good time. The drag queens there sing, dance, and bring guests on stage to make sure everyone has a good time. They offer a variety of foods along with a preset menu that's perfect for large parties! When going for a birthday, Lips offers a birthday package that comes with a crown, a dessert with a candle, and a moment of fame onstage with the queens (complete with a photo-op!). Lips is one experience you will never forget.

4. Tao

Tao is an Asian fusion style restaurant that is known for their fun foods. They serve a variety of Chinese and Japanese foods from almost any sushi roll to fried rice and lo mein. The restaurant also contains a large Buddha in the center that not only creates a focal piece to the restaurant, but is a great photo opportunity. To celebrate this special day, Tao has a large fortune cookie filled with mousse complete with "happy birthday" written in chocolate. Tao ensures another great Instagram picture that's sure to get tons of likes.

5. Lavo

pie, sweet, cream, chocolate, cake
Carlie Littman

Last, but certainly not least, is Lavo. This is a classic Italian restaurant that doubles as a nightclub to get the party started. Their menu contains pretty much every Italian food you can think of, and trust me, it will live up to your expectations. For a great birthday dessert, Lavo offers many desserts such as a twenty-layer chocolate cake that makes my mouth water just thinking about it. After eating so much you think you may explode, you can burn off some calories by dancing the rest of the night away. You will be sure to have a great night celebrating your birthday with all your friends and amazing food!