If parsley is the ingredient you're lacking, fear not! There are other substitutes to help you achieve that same green leafy goodness. Parsley is usually used as a garnish and has a very versatile flavor, but is also known for its healing properties that have been utilized for centuries. However, parsley isn't the only leafy green that can give you a burst of color and add something extra to your recipe of choice. Here are four parsley substitutes to put in your book of cooking tips and tricks.

1. Cilantro

parsley, herb, vegetable, cilantro, coriander, relish
Msu Spoon

Cilantro can be used as a fresh parsley substitute in Mexican, Thai, or Vietnamese recipes. When compared to parsley, cilantro has a stronger flavor. While cilantro and parsley have very different flavors, cilantro looks almost exactly like flat-leaf parsley. They're so similar that even experienced cooks sometimes have trouble telling them apart.

Cilantro also pairs well with many of the foods that you would garnish with parsley. However, when you're using cilantro in place of parsley, use it in moderation unless you're positive that it will pair well with other flavors in your dish. 

2. Chervil Leaves 

Chervil belongs to the same family as parsley, which is also the family that carrots and celery belong to. It bears a similar resemblance to parsley and it can stand in as a garnish. Chervil leaves are milder in flavor than parsley, so you may need to use more when cooking with it. Any amount of cooking will destroy chervil's already mild flavor. Luckily, it's so tender to begin with it can be tossed into dishes at the very last second or even eaten raw.

3. Celery Leaves 

vegetable, celery
Abigail Manger

Celery is another member of parsley’s family and one with an arguably similar taste. To create a garnish with a similar look to flat-leaf parsley, use only the celery leaves. Chop them up and sprinkle onto your dish, no one will ever be able to tell the difference. Saving food scraps for the win!

4. Basil

vegetable, basil, herb, relish
Spoon University

For those Italian dishes that you need a little green to brighten up your sauce or dish of choice, basil is an ideal replacement for parsley. It does have a more distinctive aroma when compared to parsley, but provides a similar green flourish to the food when chopped and sprinkled on.

It's interesting to see the different flavor profiles and unique characteristics of different herbs and how they can be interchanged to highlight an herb you may not have thought of to be in your next recipe of choice. So go green, you've got a bunch to choose from!