We all catching some rays, but getting a sunburn sucks. Many foods have been proven to either slow the burn or prevent it altogether, while others can be applied to already sun-burned areas to help the sear. Here are some foods you should eat and can apply to your skin to help prevent and soothe your sizzling red skin.

1. Salmon

Photo by Yonatan Soler

Salmon, and most fish in general, contain a lot of healthy oils, which contain omega-3 fatty acids. They aid in guarding sunburn and DNA changes that lead to cancer. Not a huge salmon fan? Try shrimp.

#SpoonTip: Fish Fridays are a must.

2. Almonds

Photo by Kendra Valkema

This nut is essential in protecting against skin damage. Almonds, as well as walnuts and sunflower seeds, contain vitamin E, an important antioxidant that helps to protect skin from the sun’s rays. Vitamin E also aids in slowing the appearance of scars and aging.

3. Oatmeal

Photo by Kassie McIntyre

Out of all the foods listed, oatmeal is your best way to go for skin care. Grind it up and soak it in cold water. Once the oatmeal has soaked up the water, apply it on a towel or cloth to your area in need. This should be repeated every 2 hours for a helpful relief.

4. Guava

Photo by Gloria Zhang

By just eating this antioxidant-rich fruit, your skin troubles can disappear. With a huge amount of vitamin C and the noted antioxidant power, guavas are vital to skin protection. It’s not commonly rubbed on the body, but keeping up with eating one guava a week should help reduce intense sunburn. If guava isn’t your thing, try a citrus fruit.

5. Green Tea

Photo by Jessica Payne

Green tea is great for subduing the sun’s powerful radiation. Green tea contains a tannic acid which helps soothe sunburn. Not only does applying tea bags to your skin help the burn, but drinking green tea also helps to protect your skin from the sun’s rays.

6. Tomatoes

Photo by Corinne Odom

Head to the farmer’s market and pick up a few tomatoes. Not only are they good to eat and help against sun damage, but highly concentrated tomato tube paste can be applied to the affected area for immediate relief.

7. Carrots

Photo by Charlotte Hull

Carrots aren’t just great for summer cooking, but they’re also jam-packed with carotenoids that help reduce sunburn intensity. They can’t be directly applied to the skin for relief, but eating them consistently will help you catch those healthy rays come summertime.

8. Strawberries

Photo by Liana Lis

Feeling a sting? Strawberries help provide a natural cure for your painful tan. Simply mash a few strawberries and apply to the affected area for your best cure.

9. Cucumbers

Photo by Haliana Burhans

This vegetable provides relief and a refreshing feel to your skin. Unlike sun tan lotions and protectants, cucumbers are harmless and simply mashing them up does the trick. If you’re really burnt and this doesn’t do it, add glycerin and rosewater to a mashed cucumber and apply as needed for the ultimate protection. Eaten or applied, cucumbers are a life-saver.

10. Watermelon

Photo by Justin Schuble

Simply stated: Eating red helps keep you from turning red. Watermelon contains lycopene, which helps decrease your chances of looking like a lobster. Plus what better time to eat watermelon than in the summer time?

11. Pomegranate

Photo by Parisa Soraya

This ruby red fruit contains Ellagic acid, which protects your skin from cell damage. Eating plenty of pomegranate during the summer helps keep your skin stay healthy.

12. Milk

Photo by Helena Lin

Feeling like your skin is sizzling as we speak? Milk could be your best option. Milk contains proteins that help ease that immediate discomfort. Using gauze or a towel, apply cold milk and rub around the affected area. Keep compressing the milk for 15-20 minutes and repeat every 2 hours.

13. Potatoes

Photo by Emily Palmer

Feeling the pain? Potatoes actually have many starchy components that help burns. Cut up raw pieces of potato and rub it on your most burnt spot. For an even more intense rub, make a slaw out of the potato and rub it on the area.

14. Parsley

Photo by Regan Fitzgerald

Used both dry and fresh, this rich-green herb is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin, C, and vitamin A. Not only does it nourish your skin, it also prevents skin damage from the sun and sun burn from exposure. Use the dry parsley for seasoning on food and use fresh parsley for the immediate relief mashed up with water.

15. Dark Chocolate

Photo by Amanda Shulman

Dark chocolate may protect our skin but it also beautifies it. The cocoa in chocolate helps blood circulation and hydrates the skin. Raw cocoa unsweetened powder can be used and rubbed on your skin or just eating chocolate can help strengthen and make your skin shine without the sun. Try this dark chocolate bark recipe for snacking.

16. Wine

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Surprisingly, drinking a glass of wine a night does not only improve health it also decreases UV radiation along with grapes, hazelnuts, and blueberries. Figure out a wine you like that will go with your meals. Cheers!

Go enjoy the sun, but be careful!