Chocolate is basically a unanimous favorite among many when dessert time rolls around. A gooey chocolate chip cookie, a Lindor truffle, or a slice of chocolate cake can all help satisfy even the most avid sweet tooth. So next time a chocolate craving hits, give in because how could you resist after you've heard these astonishing chocolate facts. 

1. Chocolate Chip Cookie Inventor

Ruth Graves Wakefield invented chocolate chip cookies in 1938 when she ran out of baker's chocolate and substituted Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate. She expected them to melt into the dough, but luckily for us, the chocolate chip cookie was born. As it gained popularity, Nestle and Ruth came up with a deal: Nestle could print her recipe on the back of their bag and she would receive a lifetime supply of Nestle chocolate. I'd take that deal any day! 

#SpoonTip: Ruth ran Toll House Inn, which is now used as the legal name for a generic chocolate chip cookie, "Toll House".

2. M&Ms for Soldiers

Forest Mars Sr. (son of Milky Way inventor) teamed up with Bruce Murrie (son of Hershey executive) to develop M&Ms in 1941. The hard casing around the chocolate prevented melting and were used in rations given to soldiers during WWII. The name M&M comes from "Mars" and "Murrie".

3. Chocolate Lay's Chips

There is such a thing as Lay's potato chips covered in chocolate. Pick up a bag to make your wildest dreams come true.

4. Brain Power!

Research suggests that dark chocolate boosts memory, attention span, reaction time, and problem-solving skills by increasing blood flow to the brain. Guess what I'm eating before all my tests now! Studies have also found that dark chocolate can improve the ability to see in low-contrast situations (such as poor weather) and promote lower blood pressure, which has positive effects on cholesterol levels, platelet function, and insulin sensitivity. So overall what I'm taking away from this is that chocolate is healthy!

5. Dark Chocolate = Heart Health

Eating dark chocolate every day reduces the risk of heart disease by one-third. Dark chocolate tends to contain more antioxidants and can often be found in more unprocessed forms, making it a smarter choice than other varieties.

6. Eating Chocolate vs. Kissing

Why bother with relationships when chocolate can provide the same great feelings and less of the bad. In fact, chocolate can give you a better mental high and get your heart pounding faster than if you were kissing someone!

7. Refuel with Chocolate Milk

Chocolate milk is a great post-workout snack. It helps relieve muscle soreness and prepare athletes for endurance workouts. Plus it tastes amazing!

8. Melty Chocolate

Chocolate is the only edible substance to melt around 93° F. Since this is just below average body temperature, chocolate melts in your mouth!

9. Chocolate River!

If I could time travel, I'd definitely go back to 1971 and swim in the chocolate river from the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It was made using 15,000 gallons of water, chocolate, and cream. However, very soon after it was made it began to spoil and smell awful... I think we should make another one!

10. Eat Chocolate, Be Happy!

If you're ever feeling blue, just grab a chocolate bar! Chocolate produces the effects of an anti-depressant by increasing serotonin and endorphin levels in the brain.

11. Flawless Skin

The myth that chocolate is a cause of acne is false! Hallelujah! In fact, German researchers suggest that flavonoids in chocolate absorb UV light, which help protect and increase blood flow to the skin, ultimately improving its appearance. So this is how models get their flawless skin!

12. Is that Chocolate Syrup or Blood?

Back when movies were black and white, chocolate syrup was often used as "fake blood". Yum!

13. Chocolate Chip Energy

One chocolate chip can give a person enough energy to walk 150 feet. Can I use chocolate as my pre-workout snack?

If these chocolate facts aren't enough to make you grab a piece of chocolate, I don't know what is! So next time you're in a slump after devouring a whole plate of cookies, remember that chocolate is pretty darn cool.