You know what they say, an apple a day keeps the doctor away. So does apple cider vinegar. You may have had this in your pantry for years, or this may be the first time you’ve ever heard of it. Prepare to be surprised by these 12 interesting ways to use this inexpensive, all-natural, healthy potion.

1. Condiments

Apple Cider Vinegar

Photo courtesy of @marinmamacooks on Instagram

Apple cider vinegar is perfect for adding some extra flavor to your condiments. Mix it in with your favorite vinaigrette, sauce, or marinade recipes.

2. Non-toxic disinfectant

Apple Cider Vinegar

Photo courtesy of laurelofleaves.com

Although it’s not as strong as a chemical disinfectant, apple cider vinegar is a great non-toxic, odor-absorbing, antibacterial cleaning solution. Fill a spray bottle with one half apple cider vinegar and one half water, and your home will be squeaky clean in no time.

3. Clear acne and blemishes

Apple Cider Vinegar

Photo courtesy of Becca Wilkinson on culdesaccool.com

When the natural acidity of your skin meets the acidity of apple cider vinegar, its balances the dryness or oiliness of your skin, absorbing any bacteria causing acne. It also tightens the skin, minimizing pores and wrinkles. Moisten a cotton ball with apple cider vinegar and water, and apply to the skin as a facial toner.

4. Healthy tea

Apple Cider Vinegar

Photo courtesy of Lindsay Kujawa on delightedmama.com

Adding a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water, tea, or smoothie can provide a ton of health benefits including aiding digestion, sore throat, lowering cholesterol, sinus infection or congestion, boost energy, soothe muscle and joint tension, and balancing your blood sugar.

5. Hair mask

Apple Cider Vinegar

Photo courtesy of familylivingsimple.com

Deep clean your hair by massaging a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar it into your scalp. The acidity of the vinegar will remove product buildup in your hair, leaving you with shiny, healthy hair without leaving a foul smell.

6. Fresh breath

Apple Cider Vinegar

Photo courtesy of skinnywithfiber.org

We know what you’re thinking – how can any type of vinegar be good for your dental health? When mixed with water, the natural acidity of apple cider vinegar kills odor-causing bacteria in your mouth and gums, and can even remove yellow stains on your teeth. Gargle water and apple cider vinegar before you brush for that sparkly clean shine.

7. Soothe sunburn

Apple Cider Vinegar

Photo courtesy of 204park.com

Say goodbye to aloe, and hello to apple cider vinegar’s natural healing properties. Apple cider vinegar’s major key ingredient, amino acids, balance hydration in the skin and calm irritation. You can even apply it to razor burns.

8. Wart removal

Apple Cider Vinegar

Photo by Beth Wiscnia on brit.co

Similar to the common salicylic acid treatment for warts, the natural acidity of apple cider vinegar may help by removing the skin layer of warts and boosting your immune system to prevent the wart from growing and spreading. Simply soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and secure place over the wart with a band-aid overnight.

9. Stop hiccups

Apple Cider Vinegar

Photo courtesy of Kimberly Odom on thebeautyfox.com

No more swallowing and holding your nose or chugging water. The sour taste of apple cider vinegar overstimulates the nerves in your throat that cause the spasms. Mix it in with your favorite tea, smoothie, or water bottle and let those pesky hiccups fade away.

10. Absorb odors

Apple Cider Vinegar

Photo courtesy of Jill Winger from theprairiehomestead.com

Back at it again with the acidity. By leaving a small cup of apple cider vinegar in your home or kitchen, it can absorb odors without leaving a sour smell. You may even catch some fruit flies. If you’re feeling adventurous, dilute it with water and apply to your underarms or feet as a natural deodorizer.

11. Fertilizer and weed killer

Apple Cider Vinegar

Photo courtesy of healthtipsportal.com

While most plants thrive off of high alkaline levels, too much acidity can kill them. So, revitalize your garden by spraying it with one ounce of apple cider vinegar and one gallon of water, and get rid of weeds by directly spraying apple cider vinegar. You can even increase the life of your flowers by mixing a little bit of sugar and apple cider vinegar with the water in the vase.

12. Keep pets flea-free

Apple Cider Vinegar

Photo courtesy of whyaishaloveslife.wordpress.com

After consulting your veterinarian, try using apple cider vinegar as a natural flea repellant. Add a few drops to their water bowl, bath, or apply a small amount with a spray bottle. This natural remedy will kick fleas out while locking in moisture, keeping your furry friend’s coat shiny and clean.