For many, summer is a time for making money, living healthy, and relaxing with the people you love. But its also a time for exploration, and there's no better way to venture out into the world than through food. Because everyone seems to enjoy spending time outside during the summer months, there's a plethora of outdoor culinary adventures at the ready. Here are 12 food festivals and experiences happening across the US this summer, aka here's your summer bucket list.

Avocado Museum pop-up: San Diego, California

Where: San Diego, California

When: June and July

Price: $27

Only California would be able to pull off something as extra as an entire museum dedicated to to avocados. Starting June 16, the 'Cado Museum will open in South Promenade, San Diego, occupying seven rooms made from shipping containers. Each room will be a different interactive experience, like a room designed to look like a the skin of a perfectly ripe avocado.

Beer, Bourbon & BBQ Festival: Nationwide

Where: Across the East Coast

When: Summer 2018

Price: Starts at $29 for designated drivers, $39-$49 for general admission, $59 for VIPs, and $115 for the Grand Poobah

This festival travels across the nation all year, chasing sun, good eats, and lots of bourbon. Each guest receives a souvenir glass for tasting, so you can indulge in all-you-can-drink samples of each beer and bourbon offering. Barbecue is a la carte, but pitmaster Bill Easton promises to "keep the portions heavy and the prices low," so you shouldn't be too worried about going hungry.

Brew at the Zoo

Where: Washington DC

When: July 19

Price: $30 for designated drivers, $65 for everyone else

Every year, the Smithsonian National Zoo hosts its annual fundraiser, combining tastings from more than 70 breweries with food trucks, lawn games, and animal tours to raise money for the zoo's saving species mission. Attendees will also have the chance to spin a prize wheel to earn "zoo prizes." 

Gilroy Garlic Festival

Where: Gilroy, California

When: July 27 - 29

Price: $20

Commemorate the 40th anniversary of this annual garlic celebration by visiting Gourmet Alley, a giant outdoor kitchen centered entirely around garlic for this momentous occasion. Tickets include festival admission, shuttle transportation, cooking demonstrations, and various performances, but food prices themselves range by vendor. Although the adult entrance fee rings in at $20, the food prices range from around $2-15, depending on portion size.

Kentucky Bourbon Festival

Where: Bardstown, Kentucky

When: Sept. 10-16

Price: 

The Kentucky Bourbon festival wraps up the end of summer. The events for the 2018 event are still being finalized, but last year's festivities included "The Science of Maturation," a "Kentucky Bourbon All-Star Sampler" and the "World Championship Bourbon Barrel Relay." Check out the website for updates regarding this year's schedule and ticket prices.

LA Food Fest

Where: Los Angeles, California

When: May - August

Price: $5

Every third Sunday in May-August, a variety of LA food vendors gather in the Civic Center for themed events. The summer opening is sponsored by Clean Made, so expect sustainable vendors and all sorts of diet-specific menus (paleo, vegan, keto, etc.). The big FoodFest event happens in September and is still in the organizational phase, but each Sunday Funday theme is enough to get me excited.

Every third Sunday in May-August, a variety of LA food vendors gather in the Civic Center for themed events. The summer opening is sponsored by Clean Made, so expect sustainable vendors and all sorts of diet-specific menus (paleo, vegan, keto, etc.). The big Food Fest event happens in September and is still in the organizational phase, but each Sunday Funday theme is enough to get me excited.

Maine Lobster Festival

Where: Rockland, Maine

When: Aug. 1-5

Price: $1 on opening day, $8 on other days

This festival is run entirely by volunteers and donates all of its proceeds back to the Midcoast Maine communities. Attractions include fresh, local lobster dinners, nationally renowned entertainers, cooking contests, carnival rides, and Maine craftsmen and artists. 

National Cherry festival

Where: Traverse City, Michigan

When: June 1-7

Price: Free to $130 (depending on the event)

Cherry lovers from all over gather to celebrate and promote cherries, community involvement, and the Grand Traverse region. Some events are free (labeled on the event calendar as "Free Family Fun"), but the more popular offerings like the "Very Cherry Flying Pancake Breakfast" cost $10 for adults. Bottom line here is that there will be lots of food and lots of family friendly fun.

Pizzadelphia Fest

Where: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

When: July 14

Price: $35-$125

Pizza lovers from all over congregate in Philly's Navy Yard to "bring the top pizzaiolos, culinary experts, craft beers and entertainers to the masses." Tickets include unlimited access to all of the festival's pizza vendors, with cocktails, gelato, espresso, and more for purchase onsite.

Smorgasburg

Where: Brooklyn, New York

When: Summer 2018

Price: Free to attend, food prices depend on vendor

On weekends April-October, Smorgasburg occupies the East River State Park on Saturdays and Prospect Park on Sundays. Visitors experience the largest weekly open-air food market in America, sampling from over 100 local vendors. Entrance to the market is free, with each vendor setting their own prices. You can find everything from a ramen burger to giant mozzarella sticks.

Taste of Chicago

Where: Chicago, Illinois

When: July 11-15

Price: Free, but $10+ for food tickets

This July Chicago's Grant Park will be overrun by food vendors and visitors from all over the country. Entrance to the event is free, but food tickets are sold in strips of 14 tickets for $10 (which you then exchange for your meals at the vendor stations). Oh, and there's music performances each day, featuring both world-renowned artists like Juanes and local Chicago musicians.

Vermont Cheesemakers Festival

Where: Shelburne, Vermont

When: Aug. 12

Price: $60 - $100

The 10th annual Vermont Cheesefest will be taking place at Shelburne Farms. General Admission tickets include a printed festival logo bag and a festival wine glass. Inside the event, you'll find over 45 cheesemakers and 80 artisan food and drink producers. The festival also offers a variety of workshops and demos, which are free with festival admission.

Despite some of these festivals overlapping (the middle of July is a popular time!), I plan on traveling to as many food-related events as possible this summer. Hopefully, this list will help you tag along.