Living in New Jersey then moving to Boston for college, I've come to realize how unique and incredible the food in New Jersey is. Despite its proximity to the Big Apple and Philly, New Jersey can definitely stand its own when it comes to providing your social media page with the newest food craze. There is a never ending list of unique  spots with the craziest bites that are guaranteed to go viral and below are the top 11 in the eyes of a Northern New Jersey native who spends summers by the shore.

1. Brother Bruno's Pizza, Deli and Bagels, Wayne

cookie, brownie, cream, butter, peanut butter, chocolate, ice, ice cream, peanut
Ashley Marino

Following its recent feature on Insider Food, this 30+ year old pizza joint as been making major waves in the food universe thanks to its mouth watering stuffed dessert pizza (pictured above). In addition, its extreme build your own specialty pizzas can be topped with almost anything including mini grilled cheese sandwiches, mozz sticks and penne vodka. 

2. CARS: Sandwiches & Shakes, Ramsey and Montclair

bread, cheese, sandwich
Ashley Marino

Originally housed in a bagel store, this extreme Northern NJ spot has been featured on Insider Food and the Travel Channel. It's definitely the place to have all your late night cravings satisfied courtesy of their piled high "fat sandwiches", burgers, milkshakes and sides. The latest addition to the menu are 3 sandwiches featuring hand-formed meatballs including the Fat Arthur (pictured above). Although the mac and cheese bites and mozz stick sandwiches may break the calorie bank, it's worth it (trust me). 

3. Kimchi Smoke, Westwood

bacon
Ashley Marino

Straight outta Insider Food, the above pictured Chonut 2.1 is Southern Korean BBQ heaven with a mountain of smoked brisket, smoked kimchi, fatboy BCS, cheese, bacon and scallions sandwiched between a glazed donut for the perfect sweet/savory/spicy bite every time. The menu also features smoked brisket on a ramen bun, tacos, nachos, mac and cheese and other BBQ classics like ribs, pulled pork and chicken with a Korean BBQ twist.

4. Peace Pie, Various Locations

cake, cookie, chocolate
Ashley Marino

Founded in 2011, this unique shop has the power to bring a little spice to your usual ice cream routine. These ice cream sandwiches come in flavors ranging from s'mores (pictured above) to toasted coconut caramel and pecan pie with a layer of pie filling that definitely won't disappoint.

5. Kohr's, Various Locations

chocolate ice cream, dairy product, wafer, milk, candy, ice, goody, sweet, chocolate, cream
Ashley Marino

Serving smiles since 1919, Kohr's Frozen Custard is definitely one of my favorite boardwalk bites. With a menu including frozen custard, ice cream, orangeade and milkshakes, there's truly no way to go wrong (even though I'm slightly bias to the classic chocolate frozen custard). 

6. Brownstone Pancake Factory, Edgewater

spinach, cheese, sandwich
Ashley Marino

Highlighted on Insider Food for their vast milkshake and pancake varieties, the Brownstone Pancake Factory does not fall short of any expectations. Whimsical ambience paired with picturesque milkshakes will have your friends drooling with envy.

7. Rutt's Hut, Clifton

Ashley Marino

Making fried food dreams come true since 1928, Rutt's Hut has been featured on the Food Network, Travel Channel and more for their famous "Rippers" AKA deep fried hot dog heaven. 

8. Playa Bowls, Various Locations

strawberry, cream, chocolate
Ashley Marino

Dubbed "New Jersey's Original Acai Shop", Playa Bowls has every variety of smoothie bowl imaginable including acai, pitaya, coconut and chia pudding worthy of satisfying a sweet tooth while eating health consciously.  With more locations popping up regularly, this beachy paradise definitely has a big presence in the Garden State.

9. White Manna, Hackensack

bun, sandwich, egg, bread
Jennifer Nigro

A New Jersey staple since 1946, this no frills burger joint offers some of the best sliders, fries and shakes the planet has to offer. It has been featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Network for their flavorful, fresh, never frozen burgers, which are cooked right in front of you after you order. 

10. Sogno Coffeehouse, Westwood

cream, crepe, cake, pancake, pastry, bread, sweet
Ashley Marino

As one of the only creperies in Northern NJ, Sogno Coffeehouse has definitely been making waves in the food community for the past few years. Its menu stands out due to their unique breakfast, savory and sweet crepe offerings with a cozy atmosphere.

11. The Original Fudge Kitchen, Various Locations

beer, tea, coffee
Ashley Marino

Whipped up right before your eyes daily, The Original Fudge Kitchen has been gifting NJ beach towns with its fresh fudge, chocolate, candy and salt water taffy for years. Luckily, you are able to order their sweet treats year round on their website so the fun can last outside of NJ and into the winter months when you need a taste of summer.