College - it's one of the best experiences of your life. I know I can't really say much about it yet because I'm only a freshman, but so far it's been pretty great. Many freshmen, including myself, worry about gaining the dreaded "freshman 15." If you're of college age and you worry about this the way I did, read on for 10 tips that will not only help you avoid the "freshman 15," but will help you eat healthier while in college in general!

1. Establish a routine.

If you can, find set times to eat every day and try to stick to eating at those times. You should also make a point not to skip any meals - doing so could cause you to overeat at the next meal because you think you are hungrier than you actually are. While lots of college kids tend to skip breakfast because they're busy, there are plenty of healthy, on-the-go breakfast ideas you can choose. It can even be as simple as some nuts or a protein bar!

2. The salad bar will become your new best friend.

salad, lettuce, vegetable, corn, tomato, pepper, corn salad, onion
Kristine Mahan

When in doubt, a good and wholesome salad is the best way to go.

3. Exercise, at least weekly (if possible).

Not only will regular exercise help you shed some of that weight you think you may or may not have gained via the "freshman 15," but studies show that exercise helps improve your overall health, too. 

4. Eat as many "superfoods" as you can.

toast, bacon, egg, croque madame, bread, ham, sandwich, egg yolk, butter, fried egg
Photo by Lily Chin

Eggs, oatmeal, rice, and many other similar foods are great to have on hand and are still pretty cheap when bought in bulk. They also work for your body much longer than most processed foods. When your food is both cheap and healthy, that's a "superfood" in my book. 

5. Choose water over coffee or soda products.

Person Holding Star Buck Plastic Cup · Free Stock Photo

on Pexels

In the long run, water is much better for you and, as a bonus, is virtually free! Don't like the taste of tap water or bottled water? Places like Starbucks use filtered water instead of tap water, so you can make a healthy choice without sacrificing good taste. 

6. Avoid late night eating/snacking.

Late night eating is generally a no-no for your health. While college students are known for staying up late, it doesn't make it any better. In fact, some studies show that late night eating, especially after 10 PM, actually causes you to gain weight even if you don't eat an excessive amount of calories.

7. If you can, avoid sugar and alcohol.

tea, coffee
Katie Walsh

Both sugary items and alcohol are made of what we call "empty calories," a.k.a. calories that have virtually no nutritional value. Keep in mind, nearly everything can be eaten in moderation. So, while you don't have to take consuming these types of foods and beverages out of your diet completely, at least try to limit it. 

8. When eating fast-food, choose wisely.

Free stock photo of bread, breakfast, bun

on Pexels

Now, this doesn't mean you can't have a juicy hamburger or a few chicken nuggets every once in a while, but it does mean that you shouldn't be getting that Chick-Fil-A chicken sandwich and fries every day. Maybe try eating such a meal once a week as a reward for all your good eating instead! And remember, healthier fast food restaurants do exit. When looking for these, a restaurant like Subway is a good place to start, because most of their choices are fresh and healthy. 

9. Eat alone sometimes!

Guilty Pleasures photo by David Clarke (@thethinblackframe) on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

I get it - it's scary to be that person sitting by themselves. That used to be me! Do it just once, and I promise you'll feel better. Believe it or not, it's not considered weird to eat by yourself, especially in college. In fact, it can even be beneficial to you! By doing so, you allow time for yourself, which will give you a chance to unwind and focus on you.

10. Try to keep a jar of peanut butter in your dorm.

coffee, candy, dairy product, milk, cream, sweet, chocolate, peanut butter, spoon, jar
Caroline Ingalls

Peanut butter + Spoon = A great tasting snack and a good source of protein to help keep you fuller longer!

There are many more ways you can eat healthier while in college, but these will definitely help point you in the right direction!