Full disclosure; I am not vegan. I do not know the struggle of going to a restaurant and not being able to eat anything, nor do I have to read the back of every cookie package just in case. However, to help my lovely vegan friends out, I've put together a list of things that are surprisingly not vegan. 

1. Marshmallows

chocolate, cream, ice cream, ice, cake
Jayna Goldstein

This is truly heartbreaking. There is gelatin in lots of marshmallow brands, so be careful the next time you try to make vegan s'mores. However, there are some brands that make vegan marshmallows. Rejoice! 

2. Tattoo ink

beer, sake, wine, alcohol, tea, coffee
Shannon Carney

A lot of black dyes are made from charcoal which comes from burning animal bones. Having gotten three tattoos myself, I never thought about what goes into the dye in my skin. Whether you're vegan or not, it's pretty important to know what goes into making the products we use. 

3. Apple Juice

apple, juice, sweet, vegetable

Some apple juices are clarified using fish bladders. Check out PETA to make sure the brand you're drinking is 100% vegan before you take a sip. I will personally be taking a break from apple juice because the idea of fish bladders is a little gross. 

4. Some Jams

jam, jelly, local jams and jellies, farmer's market, shop local, local fruit, small batch, Small Business
Sam Jesner

Some jams contain gelatin. Gelatin is really ruining things for a lot of vegans. Make sure your jams have pectin and not gelatin if you're vegan. Pectin is a great vegan alternative because it's made from fruit—you can have your PB&J without worrying about animal welfare.

5. Paintballs

Most paintballs contain gelatin. Who would have thought that balls of paint wouldn't be vegan? Gelatin is restricting vegans from quite a lot of foods and activities. 

6. Some alcohols

wine, champagne, alcohol, toast, beer
Jaime Wilson

You might think that wine is just crushed grapes, but a lot more goes into the process of making these drinks. Some wines and beers are clarified with fish bladders, bone marrow, casein and gelatin. Is your fave alcohol vegan? Find out here

7. White Sugar

tea, coffee
Katie Walsh

Next time you're at a café pouring sugar into your soy cappuccino, think twice. Most sugar is processed using bone char to make the product look whiter. Try agavé as a vegan guarantee next time you're worried about the content of your sweetener!

8. Soda/Cola

soda, juice, beverage, beer
Kristine Mahan

A lot of soda products contain insect-derived dyes. Why do sodas need to use insect-derived dyes instead of plant-derived ones? I have absolutely no idea. 

9. Minute Maid Grapefruit Juice

juice, citrus, tangerine, grapefruit, lemon
Amelia Hitchens

Another drink that uses insect-derived dyes is Minute-Maid grapefruit juice. I feel like there should be enough alternatives to insect-derived dyes that juice shouldn't need them. A fun question to think about; are insects considered animals? I know quite a few vegans that have killed lots of pesky bugs and spiders but eating them might be a different matter.

10. Dryer sheets and detergents 

Caitlin Scott

Some dryer sheet brands list 'fatty acid' as an ingredient. Again, I have absolutely no idea why. Be aware, vegans!

I'm sorry to break the news, vegans, but countless products on the shelves of your local stores aren't vegan. Animal byproducts might be in your detergent, your tattoo dye, or your alcohol.