Fall is here and as the colors of the leaves are changing, our tans are fading. I love being tan and this time of the year, it is nearly impossible to have any color on my skin without spending money at tanning beds, spray tans, or self tanner.  

After doing some research, I learned that there is a better, healthier way to tan without wasting money on these expensive tanning alternatives. Check out my list of skin superfoods that will help you eat your way to tanner and clearer skin.

1. Carrots

vegetable, carrot, pasture
Charlotte Hull

Carrots contain carotene that will give your skin a warm healthy looking hue. But be careful, if you eat too many, you may end up looking orange.

2. Tomatoes

tomato, vegetable, cherry tomato
Jenny Georgieva

Tomatoes contain lycopene which is an antioxidant stored beneath the skin. Lycopene changes the tone of the skin to mimic a tan.

3. Bell Peppers

pepper, vegetable, chili, cayenne, sweet pepper, red pepper
Lauren Ilsley

Red bell peppers are full of carotenoids which warm your skins natural tone. One slice of a bell pepper a day will not only boost your tan, but also provide your body with three times your daily dose of Vitamin C.

4. Cantaloupe

melon, cantaloupe, watermelon, sweet, honeydew melon, juice

Cantaloupe is full of beta-carotenes which naturally darken your skin tone. With Vitamin C, cantaloupe plays a role in the formation of collagen. This is a connective tissue that gives your skin a fresh glow.

5. Kale

vegetable, cabbage, salad, lettuce, kale, broccoli
Rebecca Bauchner

Kale contains a large amount of Vitamin A which helps repair dry and damaged skin. It also contains Vitamin K, which can relieve skin discoloration, especially under your eyes.

6. Olive Oil

olive oil, herb, tea, oil, rosemary
Julia Muro

Olive oil will hydrate your skin. With antioxidant protection and enhancing exfoliation, olive oil is a skin superfood that will give you a healthy appearance.

7. Peaches

peach, pasture, nectarine, apple, sweet
Sarah Strohl

Peaches contain Vitamin C, beta-carotene, and alpha-hydroxy acid, all which will help make your skin tanner, clearer, and more hydrated. Peaches will definitely help make your skin peachy. 

8. Salmon

fish, salmon, seafood, meat, trout, sashimi, steak, sushi

Salmon contains Omega 3 acids, which make the skin look silky smooth and well hydrated. These acids also clear skin and reduce inflammation.  

9. Dark Chocolate

chocolate, sweet, herb, coffee, relish, candy
Christin Urso

Cocoa flavonoids, found in dark chocolate, are proven to give you softer and more hydrated skin. So eat more chocolate and find clearer skin

10. Sweet Potatoes

sweet potato, sweet, vegetable, potato, carrot
Christin Urso

Sweet potatoes contain beta-carotenes which give your skin a tan glow. Because of its vitamins A, C, and E, sweet potatoes improve the skin's complexion. These vitamins together form the perfect combination for flawless skin

If you love to eat and love to be tan, this alternative is perfect for you. Tired of spending money on spray tans and tanning beds or sweating in the sun? Eat these food to avoid the negatives of tanning the old fashion way and have clearer skin.