For those of you who attend Catholic colleges and universities, Fridays during Lent can be dreadful. Though it’s only one day each week, giving up meat on Fridays often seems like the ultimate sacrifice.

If you or anyone you know feels like you have been personally victimized by meatless Fridays during Lent, then fear not — these 5 tips will have you wishing meatless Fridays were a year-long gig.

1. Eggs, eggs, eggs

lent

Photo by Colleen Dwyer

In addition to being an excellent source of protein, eggs can be prepared numerous ways. Whether they are fried with toast, scrambled with cheese, folded in an omelet, or hard boiled and thrown over a salad, eggs will always leave you energized and satisfied.

2. Hearty Vegetables

lent

Photo courtesy of @wholefoods on Instagram

If you are under the impression that you have a full lineup, then it is time to make some room on the bench because eggplant, zucchini, and spaghetti squash have just become your new MVPs. Try adding some fresh marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese to any of these three vegetables, and you will never look back.

3. Fish are Friends… and Food

lent

Photo courtesy of @devourpower on Instagram

Mammals may be off limits, but no one ever said anything about the chicken of the sea. Tuna is a great option for meatless Fridays, as it can be grilled and paired with vegetables, tossed with mayonnaise and added to a salad, or thrown on a sandwich with lettuce and tomato.

If you’re not a fan of tuna, try shrimp or salmon, both of which are great in sushi and on their own.

4. Burgers Without Borders

lent

Photo by Colleen Dwyer

Most people associate burgers with beef, however, it is possible to enjoy a fresh patty without feeling the scorn of every cow south of Oklahoma. Veggie burgers are easy to find, and they are a great alternative to their meaty counterpart.

Next time you are tempted to get in your car and head to Burger King, try a black bean burger with sliced avocado and swiss cheese, or a portobello burger with lettuce and pepper jack cheese — you won’t regret it.

5. Pasta

lent

Photo courtesy of @food_ihysm on Instagram

If you are anything like me, you may feel guilty making yourself a plate of pasta on any regular night. Well, what better time to treat yourself to a carb-loaded plate than on a Friday during Lent?

Penne a la vodka, mac and cheese, and rigatoni marinara are three of my favorites. Add vegetables or tofu to any of these options and you have yourself a well-rounded meal that will leave you full and happy.