Every year, my little college town of Oxford, Ohio holds their annual Apple Butter Festival. Apple butter is something I consider a fall necessity, so imagine my surprise when none of my friends even knew what it was. It's essentially applesauce, but on steroids. It's hard for me to believe so many people go about their festive fall lives without apple butter to enhance their experience. Whether you're an apple butter enthusiast like myself, or just an apple butter newbie, read on to find out many marvelous uses for your new favorite fall spread.

Spread it on Toast

flour, sweet, cereal, pastry, wheat, toast, bread

Check out that toast. Don't you think it's just dying to be topped with some apple butter? Although this is a pretty basic usage of the condiment, it's a classic. You don't have to stop at just toast; spread it on a biscuit, a cracker, or even a rice cake if you're like me and live in a dorm without your own toaster. The carb options are endless. 

Put it in Oatmeal

apple
Claire Waggoner

Throw a spoonful of apple butter into your oatmeal to take your breakfast to another level. You can throw some apples and cinnamon on top like in the picture, add some pecans and maple syrup, or come up with your own combination. Whatever way you style it, apple butter is a great, unique flavor to add to your morning oatmeal. Trust me, you don't want to miss this one. 

Incorporate it into Your Dinner

meat, steak, pepper, beef, spare ribs, barbecue, sauce, baby back ribs, pork
Rachael Worthington

One kick-a$$ way that you can use apple butter for every meal is using it while you're cooking dinner. Apple butter makes a great addition to barbecue sauce. You can also make this great recipe for mac and cheese with apple butter. It's a very versatile ingredient and can add some fall flair into an otherwise-boring entree. 

Have it for Dessert

cake, chocolate, cookie
Katherine Hunold

One of the more obvious uses for apple butter is to have it with your dessert! Here's a great recipe for apple butter bars (pictured) that look divine. If you prefer a more subtle apple flavor, check out this recipe for apple butter oatmeal cookies. Or, if you're really feeling wild, why not make both?

Get Tipsy 

apple, cocktail, ice, tea
Andrea Lim

Whether you're a businessman from the 50s or a college student with very advanced taste in mixed drinks, this apple butter old fashioned is sure to please. Feel like a classy, autumn-loving individual as you sit on your porch swing sipping this drink and observing the leaves change color. Or, you know, binge drink these like a regular college student and drunk text your ex about how much you love apple butter. Up to you.

Apple butter is a fall essential and can be used in a variety of ways. Whether you're spreading it on toast or using it at your family barbecue, you can never go wrong with adding a little apple butter to your day.