It's that time of the year where Starbucks changes their specialty drinks from a PSL to a peppermint mocha. Every radio station is now playing holiday songs like "Frosty the Snowman" or "Deck the Halls." ABC Family (aka Freeform) is playing their 25 Days of Christmas movies. The holiday season is full of iconic moments, like decorating your Christmas tree. 

If you're anything like my family, the Christmas festivities commence the day after Thanksgiving. This all starts with us rushing to the tree lot the morning after and picking out the perfect Christmas tree. But what's a tree without its ornaments?

Now, we're going to take a step back from the classic hanging ball ornaments or the dreaded possibility of breaking "grandma's 40-year-old ornament" and make easy and edible christmas decorations that will give your tree an original touch.

Peppermint Wreaths

• 1 box peppermints
  • aluminum foil
  • ribbon optional
cake, tea, coffee, beer
Caroline Alexander

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Unwrap peppermint candies.

sweet, candy, peppermint
    Caroline Alexander

Lay foil out on a cookie sheet and start assembling your peppermint candies into a circle (make sure they're touching each other).

#SpoonTip: use 6 peppermint candies to form circle.

chocolate, cake
    Caroline Alexander

Bake wreaths for 5 minutes.

Once completely cooled, tie a ribbon around the wreaths and hang!

chocolate, birthday cake, cake
    Caroline Alexander
This next recipe is extremely kid-friendly, making it the perfect acvitity to do as a family. 

Salt Dough Ornaments

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 15 mins

• 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • decorating materials like glitter paint or ribbon
tea
Caroline Alexander

Preheat oven to 300°F.

In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, and water until well incorporated.

pastry, cookie, flour, dough
    Caroline Alexander

On large piece of parchment paper, knead and roll out the dough.

pizza, bread, flour, dough
    Caroline Alexander

Using cookie cutters, cut the desired shapes out of the dough and then remove the excess dough scraps.

At the top of your cookie ornament, take a straw or a pencil and poke a hole (this is where the ribbon will hang from).

butter, gingerbread, cookie, cake
    Caroline Alexander

Transfer the parchment paper with cookie ornaments shapes onto a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 1 hour.

Let the ornaments cool completely before decorating.

butter, cookie
    Caroline Alexander

Decorate and hang!

butter, cake, cookie, chocolate
    Caroline Alexander

This next recipe is a little more time consuming compared to the other ornaments, but this creative tree addition will last throughout the entire holiday season. 

Popcorn Garland

• 5 cups popped popcorn
  • thread
  • sewing needle
tea
Caroline Alexander

Pop the popcorn according to the package instructions.

#SpoonTip: For longer-lasting garland, use unflavored popcorn.

salt, kettle corn, cereal, corn, popcorn
    Caroline Alexander

Start with a long length of thread, depending on the size of your tree.

Put the thread through a needle and pull it halfway through so it's the same length on both ends.

Caroline Alexander

Tie a knot roughly one inch from the end of the thread. For a more secure knot, tie multiple knots at the end.

Pierce the popcorn at the center of the kernel, pull the needle through and then slide the popcorn down to the knotted end.

popcorn
    Caroline Alexander

Repeat until your garland strand is full of popcorn, then tie a knot at the end once you're finished.

Hang popcorn garland on the tree!

#SpoonTip: Put the Christmas lights on before you hang your garland.

chocolate, coffee, hazelnut
    Caroline Alexander

As you trim the tree, use these easy and homemade ornaments to start your holiday season off right. Whether that be giving these ornaments as gifts or hosting your own holiday party and sharing these recipes with friends, these will get you into the holiday spirit.