One of the hardest things I've found about cooking in college is using everything before it goes bad. This can apply to fruits, vegetables, and even herbs. Due to this, I wanted to find out how to store fresh herbs so they wouldn't wilt so quickly in my fridge. 

The first thing to think about when storing fresh herbs is whether or not they are hard or tender herbs. Hard herbs are the kind with woody stems, like rosemary or thyme. Tender herbs, on the other hand, have softer stems. This type of herb includes basil, cilantro, and parsley.

Both types of herbs call for a different way of storing them. They're both super simple hacks that should add days to the shelf life of your herbs.  

How to Store Hard Herbs

• Prep Time:1 min
  • Cook Time:1 min

• Hard herbs like oregano thyme rosemary and marjoram
  • A damp paper towel
  • A resealable plastic bag
tea
Kara Schiaparelli

Lay the hard herbs lengthwise on the damp paper towel in a single layer.

dough
    Kara Schiaparelli

Loosely roll up the paper towel with the herbs inside.

Kara Schiaparelli

Place the roll inside a resealable plastic bag.

Kara Schiaparelli

Put the plastic bag in the crisper drawer of your fridge. The paper towel will help keep the herbs nice and moist, while the plastic bag keeps everything contained and the oxygen out.

Kara Schiaparelli

Tender Herbs

• Prep Time:1 min

• Soft Herbs like parsley cilantro basil mint dill
  • Glass or a mason jar
  • Plastic bag
vegetable, fish, seafood, meat
Kara Schiaparelli

Remove any brown or wilted leaves.

spinach, basil, herb, vegetable, relish
    Kara Schiaparelli

Fill your glass or mason jar with an inch of water.

wine, alcohol, beer, vodka
    Kara Schiaparelli

Place the herbs in the glass or mason jar like a bouquet of flowers.

water, herb, ice, vegetable
    Kara Schiaparelli

If you're storing basil, leave it uncovered and at room temperature. If, however, you are storing any of the other tender herbs, loosely cover with a plastic bag and place in the fridge.

water, herb, vegetable
    Kara Schiaparelli

Fresh herbs are wonderful for adding flavor to stocks and sauces, as well as the secret to a perfect roast chicken. If your herbs are close to going bad, then use one of these tricks to use up those herbs.

Now that you know how to store herbs properly, you no longer have to waste money and food by throwing away day-old, wilted herbs.