Imagine something so delightful that your tastebuds literally thank you for eternity. Yeah, you're tasting a crepe. Crepes are kind of like a cross between a pancake and a tortilla. They're thin, you can fill them with just about anything, and they can either be sweet or salty—it's all up to you! But, how do you actually pronounce "crepe" anyway? 

Now, I know what you're thinking. How could something so perfect stir up so much controversy? People across the United States just cannot come to a conclusion. Is it "crape," "creep" or "crehp?" Or is it something totally wild and French sounding? Here's how to pronounce "crepe" so you can stop arguing about it.

What Are Crepes?

chocolate, sweet, cream, crepe, cake, pastry, candy, dairy product, pancake
Hailey Maher

First off, you shouldn't be ordering crepes at a restaurant if you don't know what they are. As previously mentioned, they're quite delicious no matter what you're craving. My personal favorite crepe is the Nutella flavor. The rich, chocolatey goodness will lighten any mood and leave you running back for more.

For a simpler option, many people like lemon juice and sugar on their crepe. Wanting something more savory? No worries. You can even get ham and cheese on a crepe. The options are truly limitless, meaning you can enjoy this treat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack time! So go ahead, enjoy those caramelized apple crepes, blueberry lemon crepes, and even vegan crepes

The Origin of Crepes

Amelia Hitchens

The French definitely did us a solid by inventing crepes back in the 12th century. Ever since then, crepes have been enjoyed in France and around the world. But, as food travels around the world, so do people with different ways of pronouncing different words. 

I first started loving crepes when I spent a semester in France last year, and let me tell ya, my world was spun upside down by these things. I just couldn't get enough of them. Luckily for me, my French professor totally prepared me for ordering crepes at restaurants and cafés. All I had to say was, "je voudrais une crêpe." Easy right? But I had to beg the question, how do I pronounce "crepe?"

What's The Verdict?

Nikki Kasal

The truth is, Americans are saying it WRONG. Every time you order a "crape," "creep" or "crap" at Bob Evans, your waitress will understand, but a Frenchman somewhere is shaking his head in disbelief. In order to please any Frenchman, pronounce "crepe" like "crehp."

Not quite convinced? Well trust me, once you know the truth, it's hard to let it go. One time I actually ordered a "crehp" at Bob Evans and the waitress literally asked me if I meant "crape" like "crAAApe?" That being said, this more accurate pronunciation might take some getting used to.

chocolate, cream, crepe, syrup, dairy product, pastry, ice, sweet, cannoli
Marie Chantal Marauta

Now that you know how to pronounce "crepe," don't be afraid to show off your skills the next time you order at a restaurant or café. After all, the French will be proud, and you get to enjoy a crepe. It's a win-win. No need to thank me. I'm just trying to make the world a better place, one crepe at a time.