Out of all the things I excel at in the grocery store—like getting the best deals and staying away from the Oreos calling my name—there's one thing I can never seem to do: pick fruit. It should be simple enough. All you have to do is get a piece of fruit and go on your merry way, but NO. Picking perfectly ripened fruit is a challenge, especially when it comes to picking a pomegranate.

Since they all seemingly look the same, it can be hard to find the best one. We want pomegranates with juicy and crispy seeds, not soggy kernels. If you want to know how to pick a pomegranate to save yourself this frustration next time at the grocery store, here's what you need to know.

How to Pick a Ripe Pomegranate

apple, juice, pomegranate
Hannah Lazarus

To find your perfect pomegranate, start by looking for the right shape. While it might be pleasing to have a symmetrical fruit, pomegranates shouldn't be perfectly round. They should be slightly flattened with angular sides.

After you find a few pomegranates with the right shape, you should take a look at the skin. Contrary to what you may think, the color of a pomegranate doesn't matter. Their color ranges anywhere from dark to light red. Instead of thinking about the color, take a look at the skin. The most important thing is to get a pomegranate with smooth skin.

When you're satisfied with the shape and color of your pomegranate, you should put your muscles to the test and pick some up to see how heavy they are. The heavier the pomegranate, the juicier it is. If you want a pomegranate with full seeds, the heavier, the better.

When Are Pomegranates in Season?

pomegranate, berry, cranberry, vegetable, pasture
Parisa Soraya

The prime time to get pomegranates is in the fall starting in September. Unfortunately, pomegranates only stay in season for a few months until December, so you only have so much time to figure out how to actually cut and eat these things. Grocery stores might offer pomegranates outside this time frame, but they probably won't taste as good. 

Pomegranate Recipes to Try

wine, liquor, tea, alcohol, juice, ice
Nathalie Kent

If you want to take your love for pomegranates to the next level and incorporate them into your cooking, the recipes below are great options. 

-Apple Cider, Pear, and Pomegranate Sangria

-Pomegranate and Pear Delight

-Cranberry Pomegranate Crostini

I know it may seem like all pomegranates look the same, but now you know how to pick a pomegranate that has the juiciest seeds in the land. The main thing to keep in mind is that the best pomegranates are heavy and angular. As long as you remember that, you'll always know how to pick a pomegranate wherever you go.