Ordering healthier at fast food restaurants can sound a tad like an oxymoron, but I assure you that there are options out there for even the most meticulous health nut - I would know. Read on for teasingly simple tips and tricks on how to order healthier at fast food restaurants.

Pizza Is Always A Good Idea 

Carleigh Reynolds

Surprisingly, pizza chains can actually be a healthier option when you're on the road or in a pinch. If you have allergies or dietary restrictions, a quick Google search can typically bring up the crust ingredients for you.

How to order: Choose thin crust or regular crust, their basic tomato sauce, all the veggies your heart and stomach desire, and skip the meat and cheese for the healthiest option (if you cannot have a pizza without cheese, then simply ask them to go light on the mozzarella). If you're somewhere like Blaze Pizza then you can even order the healthier, and also delicious, vegan cheese option. Most places also carry a gluten-free crust now, which makes for a great option, no matter your diet! 

Taco Bell is Queen. That Is All. 

cake, beer, coffee
Jasmine Lim

How to order: Asking for anything to be Fresco Style is fancy Hispanic lingo for “no cheese, no sour cream, but add delicious pico de gallo instead, please!”

Add guacamole to replace the fat in dairy and meat with heart-healthy fat from avocados.

The more veggies you add to your order, the fuller you’ll be with fewer calories. It is important to note that calories certainly aren’t everything - quality ingredients are much more important. What I’m trying to say is that you should opt for the higher calorie guacamole, which will make your lunch much more filling while also keeping your arteries nice and clear. As an added bonus, healthy fats actually allow your body to better absorb essential nutrients! 

Some of my personal favorite menu options: Veggie Power Menu Burrito - no cheese, no sour cream, no avocado ranch sauce. Crunch Wrap Supreme - sub beans for beef and make it a fresco salad. Add guacamole. Crunchy Tacos - Beans instead of beef, no cheese or sour cream and add guacamole. 

Any Mexican style chain should have some similar, healthy options for you. If you don’t mind to spend more than $1.50 on a taco, then Chipotle and Qdoba also have excellent choices that won’t spoil your diet.

Subway May Not Be All It's Talked Up To Be, But It Will Do.

sandwich, bread, cheese, lettuce
Amanda Shulman

Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of truly healthy options at Subway, which may come as a surprise since they're known for their healthy advertising. Marketing baby, it's a beautifully deceptive thing. 

How To Order: The whole grain bread will have the most nutritional bang for your buck, with fiber and vitamins. To avoid mystery deli meat, try the Veggie Delight. I skip the cheese and ask for the bread to be toasted. Load up on all the veggies and add salt and pepper, guacamole and mustard. You can customize it to your taste, of course, but sticking to a leaner condiment, such as mustard, is going to keep this sandwich healthiest. Bonus: Even ordering a footlong will come out cheaper than a salad, plus it's more filling thanks to the whole grain bread.

Arby's, Wendy's And The Like.

french fries, salt, ketchup, potato, chips, fish and chips, fries
Amelia Hitchens

Arby's, you may "have the meats," but you are lacking in the healthier options for those of us who would prefer to live past 50. As with most places, you can find something to tide you over if a restaurant such as those listed above are the only option. 

What to order: Broccoli and cheese baked potato, sans the suspiciously bright yellow cheese sauce. Add salt and pepper instead. 

It's not quite as healthy, but you could also opt for their fries. A  quick source of carbohydrates and a little fat from the oil to supply sustenance. 

At just about every fast food restaurant, there's also a handful of options for a garden style salad that will add some raw vegetables to your meal. 

Fazoli's And Other Italian Food Joints

tomato, sauce, spaghetti, vegetable, penne, pasta
Caroline Ingalls

Italian food is great, and not just because it's a smorgasbord of carbs. 

What to order: Opt for whole wheat pasta - most places have this option. Add the marinara sauce, as well as steamed broccoli, mushrooms, or any other veggies you like. Request to leave off the cheese - your dish can be plenty flavorful without it.

Salad pairs great with pasta and most Italian places have decent salad options. Balsamic vinaigrette is going to typically be your best option for a dressing, since creamy dressings will typically be higher in fats from dairy (saturated fat) and dressings (such as vinaigrettes) will be made with a plant-based oil and have less saturated fats. If you can do a simple dressing of balsamic vinegar, even better, as there aren't any added oils, sugars or other suspicious additives.

Nearly any food can be prepared in a healthier way, so there isn't any reason to skimp out on delicious, healthy food as you take a summer road trip this year. Good luck!