Often times when we think of a charcuterie board, an assortment of finger food arranged in an aesthetically pleasing way on a wooden board comes to mind. When I went vegan, I couldn't fathom the idea of recreating this party favorite because  its main components consist of meats and cheeses. But fortunately, we live in an age where you can find a plant-based alternative for (almost) anything in the grocery store. What a time to be alive!

Charcuterie boards are great for parties and gatherings. They feed a crowd and have something for everyone to munch on. I set out to see if I could create a vegan charcuterie board. The verdict? It's surprisingly easy and tasty. 

As I mentioned, the foremost component of any charcuterie board is meat and cheese. Typically one can find an assortment of cured meats like salami and prosciutto, as well as hard and soft cheeses, like a block of cheddar or aged gouda. Finding replacements to these was my biggest challenge because they "make or break" the entire presentation.  

Cheese

For cheeses, I found more than enough alternatives that look and taste just like the real thing. I couldn't find solid blocks of cheese, so I opted for the sliced version. My favorites include the Chao Creamy Original sliced cheese as well as their Tomato Cayenne, which offered a spicy kick. I also wanted to incorporate a softer cheese, something that resembled more of a spread. Miyoko's Vegan Cheese Wheels fit the bill perfectly. They also come in a variety of flavors--smoked, sharp, or herbed--depending on your taste preference.

Meat

Cured meats were a bit tricky because there was less of a variety at my local Whole Foods. However, all was not lost. I swapped the traditional salami for some Tofurkey Peppered Deli Slices. Other notable contenders included the Tofurkey Italian Sausage, which would require you to chop them up into bite-sized portions for the spread.

Fruits/Vegetables

Feel free to incorporate whatever fruits and vegetables you prefer! Grapes and olives are very standard for charcuterie boards, but by all means, experiment and be creative. I bought pineapples, strawberries and carrots, which I cut and arranged in a spiral design. There is a visual component to creating the perfect charcuterie board, too, so pick and choose whatever fruits and veggies will help you showcase your inner Picasso.

Grains

A charcuterie board would not be complete without some form of carby goodness. You can choose from a fresh french baguette or keep it simple with some toasted multigrain crackers. I recommend Mary's Gone Crackers' supergrain crackers or Stacy's Bagel Chips. 

Dips

Hummus is a fan favorite in this category. For those with a sweet tooth, try dessert hummus, a sweet rendition on this salty classic. I suggest the Brownie Batter flavor by Delighted By. It seriously tastes like brownie mix. 

Put it all together!

Once you have acquired all your food items, it's time to assemble. There are no right or wrongs in creating your spread, but we do live in the social media generation, so make sure your board is ready for the 'gram. Someone will definitely want to snap a pic of it.

This plant-based take on the classic charcuterie board is sure to be a fan favorite at your next party, family gathering, or wine night. Cheers!