Somedays you just feel the need for a change. You're on the cusp of a completely new chapter in your life and you want to make it official. That's usually what we feel in the moments right before we dye our hair into a completely different color. If your experience is anything like mine, you know that not only is there a big chance that you will spend a huge amount of your hard-earned money and not like the change at the end, but there's definitely a chance that the chemicals in the hair dye will damage your hair. If only there was an inexpensive, temporary, and natural way to dye your hair....you guessed it, there is! Here's how to turn a beet into your own natural beet hair dye.

Even though I wanted to make a change, I was not willing to spend money at a salon or to risk the damaging effects to my hair. Then I found out that I could make hair dye with beet juice.  Beet hair dye? My mind was blown. So I grabbed my keys, drove straight to the grocery store, bought some beets, and headed home as quickly as possible.

I was beyond excited. But at the same time, I doubted that it was possible. I mean, honestly, what are the chances that you can dye your hair with a vegetable? After trying out the beet hair dye myself, it turns out it absolutely 100% works. And the results are surprisingly pretty great.

Steps To Dye Your Hair With A Beet

Photo by FOODISM360 on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

Step 1: Buy or Make Beet Juice

First things first, to make your beet hair dye you're going to need beet juice. You can find beet juice in a can at your local health food store. Or, if you have a juicer, you can juice some beets yourself. But, if like me, you don't have a juicer, you can follow the same steps I did in the video above: 

1. Cut your beet into wedges and wrap them in aluminum foil.

2. Bake your beet at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-45 minutes or until soft.

3. Blend your beet and strain. 

Now you have your beet hair dye, aka: beet juice. Easy as that.

(Here's a quick #Spoontip: you can save the beet pulp to throw into smoothies or homemade bean burgers without affecting the flavor!)

Step 2: Soak your hair in beet juice

Once you have your beet hair dye, now's the time to start dying your hair. Make sure you are wearing clothes that you are okay with staining. Also, have towels around that you don't mind getting stained a little reddish-pink either. Then, simply cover your hair in beet juice. You can use a comb to make sure the dye (aka-the beet juice) spreads evenly. 

Step 3: Wait 1 hour. Then rinse in cold water.

Now all you have to do is wait. Give your hair about an hour to sit coated in beet juice. In the meantime, you should probably clean up the areas of your skin that are covered in beet juice so they don't turn red, too. 

When the time's up, hit the shower. But here's an important note: rinse your hair quickly without shampoo and only in cold water. You just want to wash away most of the juice from your hair. As you can see in the video above, when I dyed my hair with beet juice, I made sure to rinse until a light pink color was running out from my hair. Then I squeezed out the cold water  and blow-dried my hair.

Photo by Štefan Štefančík on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

That's it! Now you have naturally beet-red tinted hair! It is such an easy process. And it's so much fun to change up your look once in a while. Not to mention that the beet juice can act as a hair mask too. I loved the way my hair felt even healthier after the beet juice hair-dying process.

It is a temporary color, so make sure to wash as little as possible if you want to maintain the most color for a time. And when you do wash your hair, make sure you only wash with cold water. 

Enjoy the new look!