If you follow a gluten-free diet, you know the struggle of finding good substitutes for glutenous products. Breadcrumbs are no exception: it's tricky to find a texture that both sticks well to the food and gets crispy. Not to mention, store-bought gluten-free breadcrumbs are expensive, and they aren't always available. Thus, here are some creative gluten-free bread crumb substitutes.

1. Almond Flour/Almond Meal

Camille Balhorn

The coarse texture and nutty flavor of almond flour makes it an ideal substitute for breadcrumbs. To prepare, mix it up with spices that fit the flavor of your dish. Then, heat this mixture up in a pan with some olive oil until the crumbs are as crispy as desired.

2. Potato Chips or Crackers

salt, chips, potato, corn, french fries
Emily Palmer

Chips or crackers can be easily ground up into a breadcrumb-like texture. Not only is this a great way to use up products that have gone stale, it leaves lots of room for creativity. Consider using Doritos or seasoned gluten-free crackers to give your meal a unique touch. 

3. Rice Flour

flour, cereal, wheat, dough, salt, plain flour
Olivia Chadwick

Rice flour is the best substitute when a recipe calls for regular wheat flour as the breading agent. It has a fine texture, similar to that of glutenous flour, and will stick easily to the meat or other food.

4. Cereal

cereal, Cheerios

If you're looking for some extra-crispy breadcrumbs, try cereal (sans milk, of course). Grind up unsweetened cereals like corn Chex, rice Chex or plain Cheerios for a neutral flavor. Then add spices that fit with the flavors of your dish! This is also a perfect option for when your cereal goes stale

5. Gluten Free Bread

Stephanie Schoenster

Perhaps the most literal gluten-free bread crumb substitute is using gluten-free bread. I think we can all agree that gluten-free bread is pretty dry, but in this case that comes in handy. Toast slices of bread and then blend them in a blender or food processor. 

Consider the consistency you're aiming for: if you want finer breadcrumbs, repeat the toast and grind regimen a couple times. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out the breadcrumbs evenly. Set the oven to 325˚ for 15 minutes and redistribute the breadcrumbs partway through. 

Next time you're in a fix for a gluten-free bread crumb substitute, look no further than this list. After all, following a gluten-free diet doesn't mean you have to stop eating your favorite foods—it simply requires you get a little creative with how you prepare them.