Should I go for the pasta after a long run? Do I eat carbs after lifting? Many times I’ve found myself debating what to eat after a workout and wondering if it changes based on the type of exercise I did.

Fortunately, I found solutions, and here are some of my favorite easy to access, dining hall friendly, pre and post exercise foods.

Cereal with Milk

workout

Photo by Jessica Kelly

Good for: Pre/post run and lift

This combo brings the whole enchilada of benefits needed for exercise. It provides the simple carbs for quick recovery, complex carbs to keep you satiated, and protein from the milk to build some muscle as well.

Bananas

workout

Photo by Caitlin Dougher

Good for: Pre/Post run and lift

Bananas are the bomb because as simple carbs they can give you energy before exercising and help the body recuperate after your sweat session. They are easy to digest and can be paired with just about anything. Bananas also contain potassium which enables better muscle contraction during lifting workouts and muscle cell growth after.

Grilled Chicken

workout

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Good for: Post-lift

The ideal post workout food with 25g of protein in 187 calories for 4-oz  serving. Talk about pumped muscles.

Cottage Cheese

workout

Photo by Kaitlyn Wesolowski

Good for: Post-lift

Cottage cheese may look nasty but hey, what are you looking for: Taste? Or gains? A one cup 1% lowfat serving contains 28g of protein and only 163 calories. For gastronomical improvements, you can top it with granola, fruits or berries along with cinnamon, a great weight loss spice.

Fruits

workout

Photo by Caitlin Dougher

Good for: Pre/post-run

Apples, pears, and blueberries have 15-20g of simple sugars per serving allowing your body to recover from your workout faster. They are good before runs as well as after but fair warning, you may want to watch out if you have a sensitive stomach as their high-fiber content can cause unpleasant mid-workout surprises.

Bagel or Toast

workout

Photo by Caitlin Dougher

Good for: Post-run

Especially for long distance runners, these carbs help you recover afterwards. Protein isn’t as important for runners as for bodybuilders but it is still necessary especially if you want to maintain muscle mass. Slap on some almond or peanut butter to make your muscles happy.

Tuna Fish

workout

Photo by Caitlin Dougher

Good for: Post-lift

Just thinking of tuna makes your muscles grow. A 4-oz serving has an astounding 28g of protein in 128 calories. Eat this sucker within 30 minutes of lifting for optimal muscle building. It also has omega-3’s which are healthy fatty acids responsible for fending off heart disease and cancer. Some people are scared of mercury poisoning from tuna, don’t be.

Eggs

workout

Photo by Caitlin Dougher

Good for: Post-run and post-lift

If banana’s are the bomb, eggs are the bomb diggity, they have numerous health benefits along with 6g of protein in only 78 calories. If you’re looking for weight loss, opt for egg whites. Although they don’t have all the nutrition of the yolk, they contain 3.6g of protein in a mere 17 calories.

To get that swell just looking at the computer be sure to check these out: