Even as a self-proclaimed coffee addict, with new coffee crazes popping up around every corner, even I have almost given up trying to decide if each new one is worth the buzz (pun intended). That being said, I had to try Bulletproof Coffee. Bulletproof Coffee claims to kill cravings, while triggering weight loss by stimulating ketosis (if you’ve ever heard of the keto diet), a metabolic state which essentially sends your metabolism into overdrive. With a notable list of CEO’s, athletes, and other famous personalities who swear by it, I figured giving it a try wouldn’t hurt. As it claimed to help with “mental clarity” and give you “steady lasting energy,” the coffee definitely had a standard to live up to. So, without further ado, here it is.

To make the full concoction, you'll need Bulletproof Coffee Beans. There are 5 different roasts available for purchase, including a decaf option for those of you who try to avoid caffeine. I tried the original roast, but if I were to buy the beans again, the dark roast would be my next option. If you love the drink, you can also sign up for a subscription. The website calculates how often you’ll need a new bag and will send you scheduled packages for 15% off. 

Another thing you'll need is Brain Octane Oil, a clarified coconut oil chock-full of MCT oils. This contains lauric acid, a property which converts to a long lasting energy boost that will spur your metabolism.

Lastly, you'll need grass-fed butter or ghee (clarified butter), to add into the coffee. It sounds bizarre, but this butter is super nutrient-dense and makes the coffee extra creamy.

Preparation:

1. The first step is to brew the coffee. It's recommended that you use a french press to brew the Bulletproof Coffee beans to preserve the natural oils sometimes lost in filters.  

2. Next, to the freshly brewed coffee, you'll want to add in a tablespoon of the Brain Octane Oil. The website does alert you that this oil is pretty strong, so I added in the recommended 1 tablespoon to start with. It also had a really distinct taste -- maybe the smell of the increased brain function I would hopefully be experiencing?

3. Last, but not least, was the 1 to 2 tablespoons of grass-fed butter or ghee

4. After you mix all of these ingredients, transfer the contents to a blender (I’d recommend a Nutribullet, for size), and start the mixing. In about 20-30 seconds, you’ll see a foam rise to the top, making it look a little bit like a latte. That’s when you’ll know that it's done!

Results:

Making the coffee and preparing the ingredients all felt a little odd, but I was curious. I made the coffee at 8 am, hoping to go about a normal day to see if it worked as advertised. The first sip honestly tasted great -- I wouldn’t argue that the butter had something to do with that! I finished the cup and was actually full… I’ve never had a cup of coffee that left me satisfied. I felt more awake in the matter of minutes, and wasn’t feeling too hungry again until about 1 pm. I ate a normal lunch, and later went on a run. Surprisingly, I was still feeling wide awake and had a lot of energy, even while working out. Consensus? It seemed pretty legitimate. I'll report back after sticking with it for longer than a week, but for now, I'm into it.