Why does every batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies always seem to come out different from the last one? From crisp edges to a doughy center, there are dozens of ways for the perfect chocolate chip cookie to crumble. How do you get the kind you want?

perfect chocolate chip

Photo courtesy of @foodnetwork on Instagram

It’s what’s on the inside that counts. According to Food Network’s ingenious Chocolate Chip Cookie Guide, where a batch falls on the gooey-to-crispy cookie spectrum depends on what’s called for in the recipe. To find out how to get your fave, look no further.

1. Classic: Use room temperature butter

perfect chocolate chip

Not interested in messing with the classics? The key component to the timeless crisp-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside consistency is making sure your butter is room temperature instead of chilled or melted.

#SpoonTip: Our wisdom doesn’t stop there: we’ve got plenty other cookie recipes to try.

2. Gooey: Use coconut oil instead of butter

perfect chocolate chip

Ditch the butter and use 3/4 of a cup of coconut oil for a gooey consistency most like the slice-and-bake option.

3. Cakey: Use only brown sugar

perfect chocolate chip

Photo courtesy of @j.d.esmeralda on Instagram

For a tender, spongey cookie, take a walk on the dark side and use 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar and get rid of the granulated altogether.

4. Chewy: Use corn syrup

perfect chocolate chip

Photo courtesy of @springlane.de on Instagram

Swap in a 1/4 cup of corn syrup for granulated sugar for a consistency that lingers a little longer.

4. Crispy: Bake longer

perfect chocolate chip

Photo courtesy of @kalisammartin on Instagram

They key to the crunch for these cookies is patience. Knock the baking temp down to 300 degrees and bake for 24 to 28 minutes. No oven at all? No problem.

perfect chocolate chip

Photo courtesy of @thefoodnetwork on Instagram

With a recipe that’s been done to death, you might as well do it right. Want to leave it to the experts? Check out Spoon’s top chocolate chip cookie recipes to find one that chocolates your chip.