As a college student, it can be hard to find nutritious, filling, and appetizing options in the dining hall. I quickly got tired of eating the same salad with grilled chicken for dinner every night. Luckily, I was saved by the Buddha Bowl

Buddha Bowls are a huge trend in the health food world right now. They're bowls filled with nutrients, color, and a variety of foods. Buddha Bowls are easy to make, and all of the staple ingredients can be found in even the most lackluster college dining hall. 

The Anatomy of a Buddha Bowl

The basic ingredients of any Buddha Bowl are simple. Just add greens, vegetables, a protein, and a healthy grain. Mine typically consist of spinach, carrots, onions, green peppers, broccoli, chickpeas, and brown rice. Sometimes, I'll use quinoa or falafel.

I find my greens and vegetables at the salad bar, and my protein and grain at one of the hot meal stations. Get to know your dining hall and explore the various stations so that you know where to find these simple ingredients. 

Make it Fancy

A photo posted by Julia und Anna (@subvoyage) on

Putting toppings on Buddha Bowls could be considered an art form. Drizzle it with Sriracha, sprinkle it with sunflower seeds, top it off with hummus. Make the bowl your masterpiece. 

Bowl with Benefits

The combination of greens, vegetables, proteins and grains makes this meal full of complete proteins and amino acids. You'll feel healthy and full after eating one.

Buddha Bowls are the perfect go-to meal. They're easy to make, leave you feeling satisfied, and allow you to get creative. I don't think I'll ever get tired of eating these for dinner because each bowl is a new, colorful, nutritious experience.